Repairing patio - in between patio slabs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

We have lived in our house since the summer last year. At the end of the summer i jet washed the patio and noticed that the filing between the slabs (not sure if it cement or lime mixture) The filling was eroded away / missing in places.

I have inlcuded some photos, one shows an area with all the filling between the slabs in place correctly:
The others show where it is missing. In some places, the filling seems to have gone right away to nearly the base of the slab:

Can anyone tell me what i have to fill these gaps between the slabs with please?

Ps. the slabs look to be laid on a proper bedding with sand etc, it is just the gaps that i need to repair / fill.

Thank you!

Andrew

Sponsored Links
Im waiting for a reply on this, I need to do mine.
Im guessing a bag of ready mixed, force in gaps dry & let natural moisture do the work.

plenty of previous posts on this if you search down through the forum.

basically rake it out, use a damp mix of 1:3 or 1:4 of cement and building sand. ork it into the joints with a trowel or piece of feather edge. Then strike it off with whatever finish you want eg bucket handle. Leave it to go off then sweep off any excess with a dry soft brush.

Dont use ready mix and make sure you do it on a dry day or youll stain the slabs. If the slabs arent bedded securely then the pointing will break out again over time.

Thermo, if you dont use ready mix dont you have to buy a bag of sand & cement, that you hardly use.

Sponsored Links
bag of sand £2.00. Bag of cement £4.00 Total £6.00 Job done once and properly

bag of ready mix £3.50 falls apart and looks ****e. How much do you spend again in time effort and materials putting it right?

bag of sand £2.00. Bag of cement £4.00 Total £6.00 Job done once and properly

bag of ready mix £3.50 falls apart and looks s***te. How much do you spend again in time effort and materials putting it right?

I know a couple of builders I will ask then for cement, the sand I will buy, tnks 4 advice.

What is the tool called to rake out between the slabs? I saw a really good one once, like a thin strong blade with a small hook at the end.

=-------/

Can't find it again. Tried a few of the tool sites with a generic "rake" search but haven't found it.

I've seen weeders that kinda look like that. May be worth looking for 'patio weeders' or such.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back