Repairing Wooden Floorboards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am a complete novice at DIY, so help is greatly appreciated!
I bought a flat last year which has wooden floorboards. I've had it treated for woodworm, but need to repair the ends and sides of some of the floorboards where it is rotted and some of the tops of the floorboards.

I've taken pictures so you can see the state of the floor boards. How do i go about repairing this and what will i need to buy to do it?

Thanks for your help

Rebecca

Sponsored Links
I couldn't see any other way of uploading them. Double checked and if you click on my name they are there

Hmmm, hard to say from those photos, but they don't look too bad actually. At a guess, and providing that any rot / woodworm / damp has been rectified, I'd cut out any really bad ones with a circular saw with the depth set to the depth of your floor board, replace with a suitable recalimed board, belt sand the whole lot (messy job) and reseal.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the swift response, is cutting out the floorboard the only option? no filling option?

Thanks again

Once you've sanded the floor you can use the sawdust generated and add it to a clear resin floor/gap filler. This process is popular amongst flooring contractors to fill any gaps and holes and achieves the closest match to the existing floor.
Other options are 2 pack woodfillers but they are always quite noticeable on large areas.

I agree with 2scoops the floor doesn't look too bad. If you belt sand it you'll have a much better idea of the true state of the floor.

Hope this helps.

woodfinishes1877

Oh yeh, a final option is staining the floor a darker shade.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back