Replace and match antique pine flooring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

Can anybody advise if it is possible to match new pine boards to antique pine boards using any kind of oil or stain ? preferably an oil.

So what happened...
Basically we had a wood worm infest and we treated the surrounding floor and joists and replaced these shown in the pictures attached and then oiled the new boards.

In hind site I would have liked to have gone and got some reclaimed pine. Anyhow the floor is down and prising it back up is not something I would want to do if I can help it. Can the colour be matched ? any advice would be much appreciated. I am not too bothered about the patina.

Done so far...
The pine boards have been treated with wood worm killer, dried and then oiled with an Osmo Poliyx Oil - matt - (High Solid Satin Matt Clear) and dries to a honey colour. It turned the original antique pine boards rather orange and the new pine a clear honey colour. I'm thinking a few coats will darken it up but I dont think its going to blend in very well.

So any advice would be great.
Thanks
IMG_1498.JPG
IMG_1499.JPG
IMG_1500.JPG
IMG_1501.JPG

Sponsored Links
It turned the original antique pine boards rather orange and the new pine a clear honey colour. I'm thinking a few coats will darken it up but I dont think its going to blend in very well.
For future reference, the traditional way to do this is to stain the new pine with weak walnut crystal solution (aka Van Dyck cyrstals). This darkens the wood so it closely matches old pine. No use now you've oiled, though.

For future reference, the traditional way to do this is to stain the new pine with weak walnut crystal solution (aka Van Dyck cyrstals). This darkens the wood so it closely matches old pine. No use now you've oiled, though.

Tea bags do a good job of staining white new wood prior to oils and / or cover varnish.

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys. I heard about the tea for colouring more red and coffee for more brown. A guy in the shop where I bought the oil from mentioned it and then I thought a worthy discussion would be the blend of coffee and tea as not all tea and coffee is the same so you would be in the same boat trying to dose floor boards in various teas and coffees for the right hue ?. Anyways I may need to replace more boards (found more 'new' wood worm in other boards) so when I replace them ill try the Walnut Crystal solution. Now I need to get advice about this damned wood worm. Probably have to call in an expert to get advice as its headed for my oak stair case.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back