replace boiler

Not bitter. Just don't like rip off merchants -

Plumbing & Heating bods come on here and share their experiences with others in the trade and offer advice to those not in it, as a sort of pastime/hobby etc.

Strange it may be.

Anoraks, boring, even sad are all accusations that might stick.

But no-one on here, rips-off anyone on here, because this is an internet forum. No-one need declare or justify their charges as there's no buying or selling conducted between members through the forum - is there - you stupid, useless ****.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
WB junior are junk, no comparison to the CDI. But even more important, in my experience they are almost exclusively installed by cowboys; I have never found one that was installed correctly.

So why is you hourly rate a secret?

I'll tell you only if you correctly work out how I get paid if it's a secret.

Some people here have websites where they advertise their prices. I imagine all tell their customers. They don't like being asked to price other peoples work or apply their pricing to work they can't see and aren't pitching for. You call them rip-off merchants as a result.

This is a DIY advice forum. If I can, I give advice about plumbing & heating, so do many others. You don't.

Why do you always want to know how much people charge per hour? ring any plumbing company and I'm sure they will tell you Joe?

Why do you always want to know how much people charge per hour? ring any plumbing company and I'm sure they will tell you Joe?

I just want to know why you are all ashamed to say how much you charge on an hourly basis. Let's say a boiler swap done in 8 hours. What would you charge?

I just want to know why you are all ashamed to say how much you charge on an hourly basis. Let's say a boiler swap done in 8 hours. What would you charge?

Nothing wrong with that. All you have to do is **** off and find a forum where you can discuss it. People here give advice about plumbing & heating. You don't, though you've made thousands of posts. If recent ones are anything to go by, they're either all about charges or contain more sh*t than the world's Dung Beetle population can cope with.

A message to all the ******* useless ***** who have posted so far (Agile, Mr W & WS66 excepted).

How the **** do you think people do business if they don't discuss price with their customers. You are not their customers, nor after DIY advice, that the forum is intended for, just some useless ***** who can't understand **** all about **** all in life.

I couldn't care a **** about your sh.... IT consultancy prices.

You may advertise them to your clients but you wouldn't use them on IT tech advice sites which is what this site is the heating equivalent of.

spot on that mate, listen luv every job is diffrent in this trade unlike the crap you do, now **** off

joe-90

If i charge 5k to a customer an she excepts that price how is that ripping them off you stupid ****?

i do not charge hourly rate, why should i? i charge what i want profit for doing it if they dont want it fine no problem il play me xbox instead.

now **** off

my mate however does work on hourly rate an drags his heels just like the lying **** mechanics, he charges £98.25 per hour £108 for the first
is that ok like? d**k

To the OP.

I am sorry that your innocent question has provoked a tirade of questionable replies.

As has been explained, something like a boiler change can vary greatly in the complexity because of distance from gas meter, flue positioning and anti plumbing extensions, quality of water in the existing system etc.

Then the required earnings of the installer has to be taken into account. The average employed qualified gas installer earns about £25k-£35k.

A self employed person has to earn pro-rata more per day to cover holidays and periods of non earning due to sickness, van breakdowns or accidents, family issues, full pension plan contributions etc.

Suppose he expects to live in a three bed semi and have an XY 04 Ford Mondeo to drive the family about and an XY 06 van for work! The costs of those will be pretty similar apart from the house! A semi in the Black Country may be about £190k but in sunny Chichester could be £400k and the mooring for the yacht £5k p.a.

Very obviously then, a boiler installation is Chichester is likely to cost rather more than one in the Black Country. Then the variables of the installation has to be considered.

So after taking all those aspects into account its difficult to say anything other than an impression on line.

Sorry again for some of the responses but this is still a very useful web site for anyone who wants to know anything.

Tony Glazier

Tony,

Valid points, and well put...However, it isn't that simple...If you work for (let's say) Lloyds bank you will get paid (more or less) the same in Chichester as you would in Wolverhampton...(The yacht mooring is the same price wherever you live, and is optional anyway)...

True, a Ford dealer in Wolverhampton may charge a little less per hour than they do in Chichester but that is principally because the premises (rates, rent, mortgage) cost less rather than because the labour rate is less...

A plumber/heating engineer doesn't have a premises if they are working in your home (I accept that they may also have a shop, but that is unrelated to the engineering rate)...Their overheads are (give or take) the same...Van costs the same, fuel costs the same, road tax, tyres, even the plumbing supplies cost the same...

There are rip-off merchants in ALL trades...people who charge too much and/or provide substandard services or products...

In another thread I asked about a boiler...as in which model I should consider...I got several replies, but no two people recommended the same thing...
I was quoted (by a local firm) £2200+ vat to supply and fit a boiler (open vent, direct replacement into an existing installation)...I thought that excessive and (for me) totally unaffordable...
I bought the boiler (one of the models the firm were suggesting) for less than £1000 all-in including ALL the bits needed and several extras that, no doubt, had I accepted the £2200 quote, been extra to that...
I now have a heating engineer fitting the boiler for a quoted price of £300...Yes I've helped a bit (with wiring, hole drilling, etc) and yes, he is gas-safe registered and so far he has been fantastic...job isn't quite finished as he encountered a small unexpected problem and his last job at the weekend ran over, too, so he started a few hours later than intended...

Even if his final bill is double the initial estimate/quote (and I doubt it will be), then the whole job will still be over £1000 cheaper than the other quote....

By the way, another 2 plumbers failed to turn up to look/quote the job...

The OP asked a simple question...I tried to answer without saying it was too much (or too little) because I had no idea what the installation involved, either...It was up to him/her to make that judgement...

Saw an advert yesterday for a BG offer...£1700 to supply and fit a new boiler on a next day service...

And finally...although I agree, this site has some very useful advice, when it comes to gas, DIY is out of the question...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back