Replace Existing Bath Fan with Timer fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an old basic extractor fan in my bathroom which I would like to replace with a timer fan that needs a switched live feed.

The problem I have is that the current wiring is just 3 core L N E.

Would this set up work (see below) if I just took the single switched live wire from the ceiling rose and added to my existing wiring?

s0sYsuPzkTlgI3p5Sl_2AcJ51OzHgIxNVQ9OSLZTMjiriD24S-zapnDdGYweh3Xp32pP_61YUDQzA3iESL8kfBCNZmyISxTJZoW5Dgm4-aKexkCT4y_KElRv75KN2ohs4ADGLsi46ZS-XN8LATVUrvblx0XTn7M5P-01cPgZnzUxcgp0hrOU_zHpX5vg5fuTuhFWQPh8_nJgBi05quVaq1tWFZ8Fd8INUkuKYhHDlZN1gzS7EekQKaFdHs7S6j6zgOQwxqsJVztdxKjEygnV-99rqDOEXH3UsezLE00DUPdZZSSkS0Ce1oeKf6_Mk8PEpIQXBpO8HHCehbmn_QscNVzzViHYKVWPmnj2sA40UF6R9YLvTHuWxIQtRhcGmTBpfJ5wk1YNpIWtzdgW8qFW5BHGUM0xAxox_xfrQm7Q6EDdqB3_U3fubWoZMvna7FxyCFIphbNyn9dCm6S8_KCWesSkHP7M4EYk9yiX16s5YwOL43GJa0xQc4KLSZFjO5tJWIq4rr0ATvUqrsfodBv07Envlg6cpfEweLAEH1UbO2jqB4_lfw7OSrZt43mhlRo8QaIs=w1217-h653-no

Sponsored Links
Your present fan has a switched live. Does it work with the light or independently?
The timer one will need a permanent live.

Same difference but if you can supply a new single cable to the fan position then you can run a four-core cable.
Your diagram likely does not represent the present set-up - no switch.

The isolator is meant so you can completely switch off (isolate) the fan. If you do as you propose then there will still be a potential live connection (the switched live) even when the "isolator" is off. May need a different arrangement.

A couple of questions..

Is the fused isolator outside the bathroom on the same circuit as the light?
What is the junction box for, why is it even there?

The diagram is what I am proposing with a new timer fan.

The present fan does not have a Switched Live and currently works independently from the light which is why I want to replace with a timer fan to reduce condensation.

Dont know why there is a juction box, I am guessing it was for a previous wall mounted heater and that someone added the fan later on and removed the heater and used the box for the fan!

No the fused isolator is not connected to the light unfortunately.

The isolator is meant so you can completely switch off (isolate) the fan. If you do as you propose then there will still be a potential live connection (the switched live) even when the "isolator" is off.

But the switched live is only live if the light is on, would that be illegal in a rented property?

Sponsored Links
So, you cannot do what you propose.
the fused isolator is not connected to the light

If the fused isolator originates from some other circuit then it will

1. Will not work - the safety breaker will trip every time the light is switched on
2. Be exceedingly dangerous for any unsuspecting future fan maintenance person who will turn off the isolator, turn the light on (so they can see what they are doing) and then put their fingers on the live switched live conductor.

All off the conductors for the fan must come from the same origin and through the same isolator. For a fan, the islotaor is normally a three-pole switch that isolates the permanent live, switched live and the neutral.

EDIT
It needs to be wired as shown in the WIKI
//www.diynot.com/wiki/Electrics:fan

The present fan does not have a Switched Live
Of course it does otherwise it would never stop.

I THINK what he has is a non-timer fan that is switch on and off from the fused isolator that is outside the bathroom. That would tie up with the JB inside where (perhaps) a wall heater used to be.

So the fan has no connection to the lighting circuit whatsoever.

The whole thing needs wiring properly, or left as it is.

I THINK what he has is a non-timer fan that is switch on and off from the fused isolator that is outside the bathroom.
Yes, I know - therefore the fan has a switched live.
The problem is he needs a permanent live as well.

The whole thing needs wiring properly, or left as it is.
It does.

yes, no.

And the window and cistern as well.

That's obviously correct, but I think one can understand the confusion. Whilst timer fans usually have terminals marked L, S/L & N, non-timer ones are very often only marked L & N (even though, as you say, the L must be 'switched' somewhere, otherwise the fan would be always on). In other words, they use 'S/L' to refer to a feed which is switched by the light switch.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back