Replace fortic tank before pipe work changed?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The current tank has no problems

I don't know how old the fortic tank is in my flat. It has factory foam insulation, The youngest it can be is 7 years old but it could be more than twice that old.

Im going to refurb the bathroom and that may mean changing hot water pipe runs. ALso if I go for a Ideal Standard (trevi) Boost venturi shower it requires 22mm hot pipe.

I'm concerned that messing with pipe work could cause the tank to fail.

Would you recommend I get the tank changed?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
what colour is the foam?

Is there a label or any identifying marks on it?

Does the cylinder seem big enough to run a good bath?

Do you have a gas boiler, or does it just run on immersion heaters? One or two?

I need to get a ladder to check it ..cant remember colour or any marks etc; but I will report back once I've got hold of ladder.

It only runs a shower (no bath)

One immersion only (remember the electrician told me); the flat is all electric with storage heaters.

There is a horstman timer switch like this one:
https://www.sparksdirect.co.uk/horstmann-economy-7-quartz-immersion-heater-control#.V-PbeDUtUkw
to switch on the immersion when on economy 7 rates. I don't know how long they have made these units, if that helps date the system.

OK I had a look and the tank Has blue/green insulation
Does the following information help to give an idea of the age of the tank and it's likely longevity?

A big circular sticker with "Save it", then a big number “ 7 “ in white font on a red back ground and "Save it" underneath

Then a sticker with

"Manco
Manchester Coppersmiths
BSS 3198 – 1981
Pure copper complying to BS 2870 used throughout
Brazing alloys to BS *45 (Zinc Free)
The bosses fotted to this cylinder comply with BC779 ( Parallel threads)
Max Heater length 355mm
Taper fittings must not be used"

Then

"Manco Vented cylinder/Combination tank commissioning certificate", which is not filled in. Obviously a very dilligent fitter.

In marker pen; DB 102527

The covers to the immersion heaters say:
3.0 kW 240V
2.76 kW 230V
BACKER
BACKERSAFE
CE
DO NOT COVER
Type: BS311
Made in England

Any clues on the age of the cylinder?

Sponsored Links
Its more blue than green
manco.JPG

I see your difficulty. My blue one (current standard) is sky-blue. Let's see if anyone else can decide.

BTW I see it does have two immersion heaters, which is great. The lower one will give a full amount of hot water, the top one gives a smaller amount, faster. It is normal to run the bottom one, timed, on your cheap overnight tariff, and only to turn on the expensive upper one if you run out of hot water during the day. This is one of the points which, if I were you, would have pushed me towards upgrading to a new two-element cylinder, but you already have one.

I think it says "36x18" in marker pen, which is the height and diameter, in inches. Rather small for a bath but adequate for a shower.

It's not showing any signs of age.

The top part seems to be a header tank with ball valve.

If you are going to fit a fancy flow flow rate shower then ensure that the header tank can refill at the rate you intend to take out. I don't expect it will.

Then there is the pressure to the shower.

Do you have a shower pump?

What is the head above the shower to the bottom of that header tank?

There is a lot more to fitting a shower than just connecting a few pipes!

Tony

You said it Tony ! There is !

The head is about 1 meter. There is no pump in the system. To have separate cold tank for a "power shower", I would have to go through the process of contacting the freeholder for permission (another cost) and really there is not easy access or space for anything else much in the very small loft so cold water will have to come from the mains in any set up I do.

I am kind of coming to the conclusion to stick with an electric shower.

Although it would still be nice to know how old the tank is.

Tanks should. easily last 25 years.

I doubt yours is more than 10 years old at the most.

I think you will be making an expensive mistake fitting any fancy shower.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back