Replace Ideal Boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an Ideal WLX RS60 boiler which is around 24 years old, I want to replace it before it starts to go wrong and I think it's probably inefficient anyway against modern boilers.

I have had two quotes, one from British Gas who recommended British Gas 330+ High Efficiency Boiler and one from an independent who recommended a Vaillant EcoTEC Plus 630 System Boiler.

I was expecting the British Gas to be quite a bit more than the independent but there wasn't that much different in cost, is there much difference in the quality of the boilers and are they the right size/type for a 4 bedroom semi with 12 radiators.

Thanks
Kevski

Sponsored Links
find a genuine local installer and get them in to quote. ask some sensible questions and gauge the reaction.

personally, i'd say avoid worcester. valliant are good and viessmann are also decent.

i'd recommend viessmann 26kw system boiler with weather compensation.

Why has your independent quoted for a 30 kW boiler when the existing one is only 18 kW ?

My view is that he is a nupty! I wonder what his explanation would be.

I dont know the power of the BG boiler but in this instance I expect their "solution" may be the better one.

My suggestion is to get advice from a competent independent.

Tony

Why has your independent quoted for a 30 kW boiler when the existing one is only 18 kW ?

My view is that he is a nupty! I wonder what his explanation would be.

I dont know the power of the BG boiler but in this instance I expect their "solution" may be the better one.

My suggestion is to get advice from a competent independent.

Tony

the 330+ can be set between 8 to 30KW i think so does the complete range and you'd probably get a 3 year warrenty too only downside is i think its a peice of junk :LOL:
Probably better to try for another quote from someone who can come recommended for honest advice

Ray

Sponsored Links
all boilers modulate so nothing new there - don't oversize it or you'll regret it......

Thanks for all your help, I'm in the process of getting further quotes.

A couple of other question, both quotes I had recommended replacing the 22mm piping between the boiler and tank with 28mm piping, is this necessary as this adds additional cost. Also one of the quotes included replacing the tank which is around 10 years old, is this necessary.

Thanks
Kevski

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back