Replace wood frame window..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to replace my wood frame kitchen window which is 5ft x 3ft single glass for a double glazed unit but do not know the best way to get the glass out without making a right mess with glass all over the place..
How do these window company's get these large windows out ..
I have tried chipping away at the putty around the window but not doing much as the stuff is so hard to chip without breaking the glass which l don't want to do for safety reasons..

Sponsored Links
Sometimes it's safer to break pieces out slowly from the top, being extra careful,(some use a glass cutter) because if you are struggling and it suddenly breaks you can be in serious trouble in the blink of an eye! Get a pro if your not sure would be the best advise, I saw a kitchen fitter slice all the tendons in his hand through inexperience fitting a small glass unit

Could you cover both sides with self adhesive plastic sheet (laminating stuff), then if something breaks, its far less likely to break free and fall?

Work's well on car windows for preventing injury when a window breaks, and makes it harder for 'smash and grab' type robberies.

Sponsored Links
I cracked a pane of glass with a chisel recently while chipping out old putty to be replaced. It was so firmly stuck in that I had to smash it out. I covered both sides completely in gaffer tape and then hit it with a hammer. That way it all just came out in an easy to manage piece. Why do you need to remove the glass by the way? Are you just replacing the glass and keeping the existing frame?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back