replaced brushes... strange happenings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have finally replaced the brushes in my Bosch Maxx washing machine, the old ones were down to nubs... things are not all well though.

First off when I start a cycle, it fills with water and when the drum spins a couple of seconds, but faster than normal, it seems to start out much quicker than it used to and then stops and the water stops filling.. It tries again after a while... same thing.. More or less the same thing on spin cycle. It drains, then tries to spin for about 2-3 seconds very fast and then stops. Then tries again for about 4 more times, about a minute apart. I haven't really let it go any longer than that as it doesn't seem to be getting any where.

When I was putting new brushes in, I notice that one of the wires to the motor terminal block is cut... as in looks deliberately cut, it's no where near the cable tie holding on the splash shield, which hasn't even been in place since I first looked at the brushes about a month ago so I am sure I didn't cut it... and it was working up until a couple of days ago.. I'd give the brushes a nudge when it stopped working , (I had new brushes on order from eSpares, but they never delivered and I had to get them elsewhere) so I am 99% sure I did not cut that wire, I didn't even have a cutter near the machine when I put the new brushes in today. So can anyone confirm that there is a wire cut to the motor on theirs? I can easily splice it, but I am refraining as it looks to me as though it was intentional and has always been that way.

But again, the motor spins faster than usual when starting and it's not working. I'm off on hols tomorrow, so can't give much additional info, but if anyone can help out here I'd really appreciate it when I get home next week!

Sponsored Links
I have never seen a spare wire just left hanging,it sounds as it could be one of the Motor tacho wires which would give the symptoms you describe.

hmm... i know, seems strange... well, might try and splice it and hope it doesn't blow.. wife is threatening to buy a new washing machine while I am away playing... would break my heart as I just replaced the door seal!

THanks, will post the results back!

Sponsored Links
yep that was it... but pretty weird... I think that I had seen it cut before and just left it, the brushes were sub optimal at best, no tachy reading and the brushes running badly but it still washed clothes for the last 6 months?

Well, I am a happy camper, just saved the cost of my holiday as wifey was going to buy a new one while I was away...

Love this site!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back