replacement back door and frame questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My back door frame is totally gone at the bottoms to the point where its rotting away and theres daylight so I want a new door and frame. 1st, would you recommend hardwood door and frame or plastic door and frame? And 2nd, how much do you think it would cost roughly for the door and frame supplied and fitted (wood or plastic),and how much do you think it would cost just for supply only (wood or plastic) and I getbit fitted myself.

I had a quote off safestyle a few weeks ago and for the back door and frame supply and fit they wanted nearly a grand, cant afford that so looking for cheaper options. Ive noticed in the terraced streets near me most seem to have plastic doors and frames and are private rent houses so i cant imagine a landlord havin shelled out fortunes for a door and frame on a house thats gonna be rented out to any tom dick or harry.

Mines an ex council house by the way, basic door and frame size I would imagine, nothing fancy. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
The purists would say hardwood both for style and security, but one of the cheaper options is a composite door and frame from the likes of B&Q etc. For what they are, they aren't bad at all.
Your homework involves carefully measuring the brickwork opening size, and see if you can get one off the shelf.
Fitting yourself is completely possible if the existing brickwork is in good condition.....get the new frame out of square at your peril though - it will come back to haunt.
John :)

You could get a cheap upvc door and frame fitted for about £450.

High end £650 including decent mastic pointing, internal making good with foam in large gaps etc.

A composite door is roughly double the price of a upvc fella. They do look a lot smarter and are undoubtedly tougher, but have a greater resitance when opening and closing, i.e. they need a shove.

Personally I don't like b and q and other large 'wholesale' upvc doors, they look ok at first glance but the last one I saw only had 2 hinges (not good) plus they look cheaper but you have to buy extras like cills/handles, get a local company out of your paper to quote for a standard back door £400-500 fitted, they get rid of old door and any problems you can ring them, it depends how experienced you are but it's not as simple as knocking one out and screwing the new one in, for starters do you know where to measure to? Old council house is it set in the cavity? Does it need cill/ face drain? If it opens inwards can you measure to accommodate the hinges? Which threshold is needed? Etc. I recommend quotes from smaller companies ie. NOT: safe style/ Anglian / Everest. Plus a rear composite would be around 550+

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies fellas. I did think of having a go myself after the near £1000 quote I got, but if I can get a quote around £500 supplied n fitted id be happy with that I think.
Is there any info I need for when I get some quotes eg. will it be composite or a normal door? should I ask for one with 3 hinges? Things like that. Thanks again

The guy that comes around to measure should come armed with a brochure for both composite and standard doors.

Composite and standard upvc doors are different animals so you either ask for one or the other, as there is no "oh, will it be a composite door?".

Standard upvc doors are priced based upon their in-fill pattern or lack of it. You could go for a bog standard glazed top with placcy bottom or spice it up with a part glazed in-fill with fancy glass, letterbox, knocker etc.

Obscured glass is often used for front doors and the obscure pattern can be decided either by using what is on the existing house i.e. bathroom w.c. etc or the guy should have a pattern book with glass of varying degrees of obscurity.

Composite doors have a range of colours to choose from as well as door furniture etc. Gloss black with chrome fittings looks smart.

Because yours is a back door the standard glazed top with placcy bottom would probably be the popular choice, especially for people with pets for the ease of fitting a pet flap etc.

Other folk may use this as their principal door and even have letters delivered through it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back