Replacement for call centre connected smoke alarm.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I will be moving in with mother, at the moment the care link system has two smoke alarms which both sound and alert the call centre and they ask if all is OK, if we don't reply then fire brigade is auto called. This is important as mother is in a wheel chair so only one door can be used by her.

There seems no point in the call centre calling me on the telephone to tell me my mother has been out of bed for over an hour when we will be just upstairs. So I expect the care link will be removed. But that will also remove the fire report system. So at £2.20 a week do I need to retain care link or is there an alternative system.

Sponsored Links
For £2.20 is it worth worrying about? And presumably you won't be in the house all day every day so that's when you need care link.

It was what I was considering, but it is likely the council will remove the care link as I am not to leave my mother, there will be some one with her at all times, however we may not be in the house. Easy in hind sight I should have got fire alarms fitted when I got it re-wired, but thought at the time with care link ones in there was no point.

Is your system a bit more than the pendant round the neck with the push button that my mother has? That wouldn't alert mission control if she was out of bed for over an hour?

Sponsored Links
It does have a pendent with button, also sensor under the bed which alerts should she not return to bed within 1 hour 9 pm to 6 am and two fire alarms, which at the moment are a pain going off with dust as we clean up the house.

The system used the phone line, and was designed to be placed before any phones so it has priority, however to do that it would need to be resited to where there is no power, and away from the main living room, so one phone of the rest and it fails.

They are intended to ask my mother with the speaker on the main unit if she is OK, failing her answering that, they should phone my mother with a non withheld number, then they should phone me, then if all that fails the emergency services.

It did not seem to matter how often they were told not to with hold there called ID, they seemed to do it every time, which resulted in my mothers phones not ringing. They were also intended to tell me what caused the call, but would often say the button had been pressed when it was just my mother had decided not to return to bed.

They would say they could not hear my mother, but when I used camera in the same room, I could hear my mother shouting help. I will guess the system had already disconnected before they were able to listen, during the day response was fast, but I think at night it was much slower.

I was not impressed with the system. The day time carers were just as bad, they even got pills in a blister pack wrong. That takes some doing.

Result is we now need to move in with mother, our house is not suitable. So upstairs not been used for 4 years has now got to be converted into a flat for my wife and I. It was a store room for all sorts of rubbish, so a major bit of work, not helped by having whole house re-wired, I just could not do it in time myself so had to get some one in.

So now looking to replace the call centre functions with a local system. Would have been nice if social services could have got their finger out and told me what was required before starting re-wire, but as usual they are slow, when first my mother lost her leg, they waited until the wet room was complete, before saying there needed to be a set gap between loo and wall to get wheel chair in.

It would be so easy to publish a guide as to where to place loo, but now to move means ripping off all the tiles and starting again from scratch. I followed Part M building regulations but it states 400 mm from wall that it seems is not enough.

I wish you all the best. Doesn't sound like you're in for an easy time. My mum is 93 with a long list of health problems and my friend's mum has just died at 94.

@ericmark Just FYI the Doc M minimum gap for toilet transfer area is 1000mm from wall to centre of pan.

If you want an up to date Doc M drawing then let me know.

Jon

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back