REPLACEMENT OF OIL BOILER

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Need to replace an oil boiler that has just developed a leak. Not sure what size boiler we need to buy for a 3 bedroom detached bungalow or what the best make is. We have 11 radiators. Don't want a combi boiler.

Sponsored Links
Oil boiler I will tell you what not to fit a Worcestor oil boiler , our Oftec chap fitted a Grant the other week he was immpressed !!!!

Sponsored Links
still love the old trianco redfyre.there about 30 year old and the ones i see are still going strong.as suggested grant is my choice, and as mentioned stay away from worcester.fitted a few, enough said.

I agree Holty the last GOOD boiler Trianco made was the old TRO MkII, alas the Eurostar was the start of a slippery slope for trianco I wouldn't fit one now!! Stick to the Grant ;)

Yep, Grant are just down the road from you too. If you need any assistance, let me know as I'm Wiltshire based.

Grant or Worcester-Bosch, either are good makes, WBs aren't as difficult to fit as some people make out once you get used to them and this seems to be the main issue some installers have with them. They've made some design improvements recently too (we only fit WB currently)

No but the WB a B******s to Service, many Service companies wont touch them...you have been warned!!!
Stick the Devizes king (Grant)

No but the WB a B******s to Service, many Service companies wont touch them...you have been warned!!!
Stick the Devizes king (Grant)

Exactly what our Oftec chap said absolute nightmare to service bit's of plastic , bit's of wire baffling tacky ally 2nd heat exc , will not fit anymore change's or not !!!!

Fair point, can't comment on that, we have a servicing bod on our firm so the installers don't generally see any problems encountered in servicing

did it for me after an install(worcester bosch).when last thing at night, very long day dismantling and reasembling the boiler on a very simple boiler swap. when the flu sample point droped out of the plastic crap housing.know they resolved this issue.but come on, this seems like this is a new design boiler were WB are gonna try and sort out every design flaw for another 15-20 year,like the old 20-25s.and that didnt happen.ill stick to GRANT thanks.

The Grant appears better made and I agree that the Worcester plastic bits are a bit rough and the boiler is a pig to service. The baffle plate removal screws jammed under the condense outlet are a nice touch, the casing seems to be a thinner gauge steel and the door clips like to disappear into the casing.

However, to see the other side of the coin - because customers don't service their own boilers - the Worcester has a longer warranty (5yrs), they don't use subbies to fix them, and to my ears, they are much quieter than Grant.

The Outdoor modules are nicer colour, have neater flue options ie: black rather than silver, and the casing is better finished and weatherproofed. The tube and knockouts supplied make a neater job too.

The door clips like to disappear into the casing. Now that you mention it, that is something that does happen, quite a lot, pain in the effin a$$ and often when they've dropped out once they'll keep doing it

However, to see the other side of the coin - because customers don't service their own boilers - the Worcester has a longer warranty (5yrs), they don't use subbies to fix them but that's not necessarily a good thing, had a warranty issue with one not so long ago and the guy who came out talked a pile of cr@p to the customer (hey how have I started knocking something you're defending a bit here...) and to my ears, they are much quieter than Grant.

The Outdoor modules are nicer colour, have neater flue options ie: black rather than silver, and the casing is better finished and weatherproofed. The tube and knockouts supplied make a neater job too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back