Replacement work van

Having driven all sorts through work, I would recommend the VW Transporter (surprised no one has mentioned them) next would be the Merc Sprinter and then Transit. All are great vans and I would have anyone of them.

Vivaros are ok to drive, but can go wrong lots.

HTH
Paul

Sponsored Links
would have to say go for a transit mine has been troube free.
a few mates have had vivaros most of them failing with gearbox problems and a couple of plumber mates had transporters their good vans but if your carrying alot of kit they go through brakes quickly one of them changed back to a transit

I've driven most of those suggested with my job . . .

If budget allows I'd go either for a Transporter or a Vito, Both are about the same size, reliable and give a good cost of ownership/mpg etc . . . if pushed I'd say the Vito was more comfortable that the Transporter.

Transit, workhorse that never fails (I currently drive one), never had any issues with it other than the height did catch me out in Dublin this week meaning I couldn't use an indoor car park. I've just also taken mine to Stockholm and back . . . ran ok but on long drives the seats are a bit basic

Vivaro/Traffic... as other said drive nice, go in car parks where my Tranny didn't but do have loads of faliure issues which are found all over so it's not just in the UK. Gear boxes and Steering seem to be the worst ones we hear a lot of.

If u want a van that will take what ever s**t you want give it choose a sprinter, may cost more to buy but look at what a day off work costs for repairs, if u can afford it get the v5 or v6 turbo diesels cheaper to run with a loaded van.

But don't expect it to stop, ever merc van I have driven has had dangerous brakes! (new old etc)

Transit of iveco

I wrecked a renualt traffic in 4weeks, it was a hire van and had only a couple of hundred miles on the clock when I got it

2000miles later, bits where falling off, what it would be like after a few years? :eek:

Sponsored Links
ok guys - here is a bit more of me to give 'my personal assassins' on here to have a go at me.
I have a MK5 2.5 DI (non turbo Transit).
I bought it from main dealers in Preston in 1999. cost about 13k (inc of vat). Full electric pack and roof rack included.
It now has 68k on the clock and runs sweet as a nut.
I always change oil every 3 k or less. Filters too.
The cabin is as good as the day it came out of the factory. because I clean it every week. Seats have always had covers on . Nobody else has driven it after I bought it. Never been 'caned'.
Only 2 seats at the front (dont need a couple of sidekicks riding shotgun- I can take care of myself- thank you ).
If ever I interviewed anyone for a job and they turned up in a van/car with a newspaper on dash-- 'adios amigo'.
Never had a 'sun or daily sport' or any newspaper on top of the dash.
From the outside- it looks fantastic and everyone passes comment on it.
Wheel arches were bubbling a few years ago- so got new ones done.
It's a LWB semi high .
I often carry a pack of bricks in the back. No problem.
Fully racked out too- with lots of my tools in their own little places.
Yes- rust is a problem- but- Only I know -and I take care of it evry year-and costs peanuts.. Mk 5s are famouse for that.

Sailed through MOT a few months ago .
The engine is bullet proof - as everyone knows.

Since I bought it- I have seen later models come and go -especially MK 6s/7s.
It has cost me up to now- 1K a year to own it. 13 years -£13K.
Renaulds, Mercs, vauxhalls etc - you can keep them .

Who cares that it has 'S' at front of number plate ?.
Transits pass the test of time .
'Especially when they are white' :LOL:

I'm another vote for transit. I've had mine 18 months now. I bought mine when it was 3 years old. I put 18,000 miles on the clock in the first year and it's never let me down yet. It's got 110,000 miles on the clock now on a 57 plate.

Great load space, nice comfy drive, not too heavy on fuel (mine is 2.2l), and most importantly, reliable.

I've driven loads of other vans for firms. Never liked citroen / peugeout vans. I did 1000 miles in a week in an iveco daily, and couldn't wait to give it back.

Sprinter / VW crafter is a nice drive, but they seem to go rusty after 3 years.

Only really older vans you see on roads are Transits.
Mercs are $hite.
Reanaulds are expensive to keep running - real crappy gearboxes that cost loads.
I could go on and on .

Thats the smiley/oval grill ones i refered to on the first page, very rugged vans unlike the follow on from it and the lastest ones, bullet proof engines but a tad under powered may say (non turbo) if your loaded up.

Another gripe is the height you need to step up to get in the back if it hasn't got the step, way way too high :mad:

With a budget of 4k I would buy or lease a new van. It would boost the quality of your business and bring in a new section of customers. You will always get the muppets who regard you as flash but for a few quid a month you can be proud to turn up on any job.

I always buy new and get rid every three years. I always have work or is it just a coincidence?

With a budget of 4k I would buy or lease a new van. It would boost the quality of your business and bring in a new section of customers. You will always get the muppets who regard you as flash but for a few quid a month you can be proud to turn up on any job.

I always buy new and get rid every three years. I always have work or is it just a coincidence?

With respect Steve- Pride does not put the bacon on the table.

You must know the saying ? '2 cars up the drive and nowt in the fridge'.

Also- ' I used to think people thought I was 'flash' when I got my Tranny 13 years ago.--but- trust me- it really dont matter one iota !!.
It's just the way us tradespeople 'perceive it'.
Yes- --it is nice to drive a new van/car- but- it's much better to wait until we have the means to pay for one cash- when our business venture is up and running..
Think about it. .
regards,
Pete

Thats the smiley/oval grill ones i refered to on the first page, very rugged vans unlike the follow on from it and the lastest ones, bullet proof engines but a tad under powered may say (non turbo) if your loaded up.

Another gripe is the height you need to step up to get in the back if it hasn't got the step, way way too high :mad:

Yep- very underpowered--but- it gets you to the job every time.

A new van will open more doors.
Who would you employ to do work round your house..... the chap in the new van whos business is obviously doing well or the chap with the oil dripping transit who looks like he doesnt care.

It will cost you less in the long term but what do I know.

Three payments up front (£750) then 250 a month.
12 months later you still havent spent your four grand that you could have wasted on a tired transit.

Who does the quality jobs in your area? It could be you.

This is actually a question me and the guys i know in various trades have asked before, are you better rocking up in a brand new(ish), professionally sign written van that obviously costs money OR turn up in a well used un sign written battered work horse of a van.

New(ish) van....will customers think you are or will be expensive so you can afford such a nice van

Battered work horse.... will they think the opposite of above, cheap quotes, no pride in work, fly by night etc etc

I truely don't know as i've never been SE, only ever worked for large national companies with posh vans supplied new every 3 years

I took the plunge into new van ownership a good few years ago, it was the best thing I did.

Alright you still get abuse off the battered transit brigade about being flash but it all boils down to how you waste your money. Tax wise it pays to go new and you dont tie all your cash up because it is on finance or lease.

I pick up jobs that other roofers dont even get a chance at because it boils down to image. Scruffy van, scruffy work.
Who would invest in your business if you dont?

Best wishes with your venture
Steve.

I took the plunge into new van ownership a good few years ago, it was the best thing I did.

Alright you still get abuse off the battered transit brigade about being flash but it all boils down to how you waste your money. Tax wise it pays to go new and you dont tie all your cash up because it is on finance or lease.

I pick up jobs that other roofers dont even get a chance at because it boils down to image. Scruffy van, scruffy work.
Who would invest in your business if you dont?

Best wishes with your venture
Steve.

In a certain way Steve- I agree with what you say.
A NEW van makes you feel better about yourself. It brings a bit more confidence to you . It's a feel good feeling, and it rubs off on customers. Not because you drive up in a new van- it's because- you feel good about yourself--not about your van.
Customers can sniff it on you .
Guys who turn up in a 'skip with wheels'- are usually of the same mentality about their work.
It really is all about presentation. Presentation inspires confidence - which is what customers are looking for .
My van was new once- I felt the same way.
I still feel the same way even though my van is now 13 years old- it still looks great and is as clean as a whistle.
Customers see that too.
See a guy turn up in a scruffy van- papers on dash and 'clean me' written in dirt on the back doors- and it's a turn off for customers.

Pride in the way you work and look after the tools of your trade- say a lot.

Pete.

ps- funny thing is- The best roofer I have ever known has a scruffy van. But- lives in a ex council house .
Aint life strange ?.

Sponsored Links
Back