Replacing a 7kw shower with 8.5kw- minimum cable size

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

The prd went on my 7kw Triton T50i shower.
I'm hoping to replace the shower as it is a bit rubbish anyway!

Screwfix have a 8.5kw shower for £40 which would be ideal, but want to ensure the cable etc is up to the job.

I don't know the cable size but think it may be 6mm, will be going in the loft to see if it is marked on the cable tomorrow.
Its a short run from the consumer unit, less than 10m probably.

The circuit breaker is a LN 5945 so 45A? Which is too large really?

Would 6mm cable be acceptable/safe if that's what it is?

Thanks all

Sponsored Links
Assuming it was correctly installed originally, all will be fine.

Just make sure the cable doesn't run through any thermal insulation.

Hi, if the cable is clipped direct 8.5kw is fine on 6.00m at that distance.However, You will have protect the cable with a 40A breaker and an RCD.

Kind regards,

DS

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies.

Not sure how it is routed, think it it clipped up a wall, then not sure for a section up to loft height, then possibly loose in loft but could clear the insulation away up there and clip to a joist. Will depend what I find in loft I guess.

Is the 45A breaker OK?
And theres no RCD as far as i know. Does that make it unsafe or just not to regs

Cheers

Hi, if the cable is clipped direct 8.5kw is fine on 6.00m at that distance.However, You will have protect the cable with a 40A breaker and an RCD.
Why (a 40A breaker) (unless, of course, the shower manufacturer demands it)? If clipped direct, 6mm² cable has a CCC of either 46A or 47A, depending upon which BS7671 Table you wish to believe - so what's wrong with the OP's existing 45A MCB?

Kind Regards, John

Hi, i don't think there is anything wrong with the 45a mcb ?the OP did not say it was faulty.

Kind regards,

DS

Is the 45A breaker OK?
I would have said so, but we'd better wait to see deadshort's reply to my question.
And theres no RCD as far as i know. Does that make it unsafe or just not to regs
Current regs certainly require anything in a bathroom to be RCD protected, but I'm not sure that merely replacing a shower with another, on an existing circuit, creates a requirement for RCD protection to be added. However, even though you will see some debates, I think that many/most people would probably say that the combination of electricity, water and wet naked bodies is 'crying out' for RCD protection, in the name of safety.

Kind Regards, John

Hi, i don't think there is anything wrong with the 45a mcb ?the OP did not say it was faulty.
Very clever :rolleyes: - but why did you say that a 40A breaker was required? Having fun with me is fair enough, but you're probably confusing the hell out of the OP!

Kind Regards, John

I`ll lay a pound to a penny , The Manufacturers instructions state an RCD is required imo

Lucky

If the cable is OK then i'll probably just swap the showers then.

Really don't have the money to get an electrician to fit an RCD and the associated work. Hard times at the moment!
If it really was required I'd have to look to repair the old shower instead.

Thanks everyone

(Just hoping the cable isn't any smaller now!)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back