Replacing a hard wired washing machine with socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
I am replacing my washing machine which is currently hard wired beneath the kitchen shelves. It' supply is coming from a switch with inbuit fuse (image here).

I am thinking of installing a 13A socket for plug of my new washing machine beneath the shelves to remove hard wiring.

1) Is it advisable to use 13A socket to remove hard wiring which gets supply from a switch(with a fuse) as described above?

2) The new washing machine plug also has got a fuse in it. My worry is, Is this ok to plug in the new washing machine(having a plug with a fuse) to the socket (which I am going to install in point 1) which already gets supply from a fused switch(image here) as described above?
So this way I'll have two fuses in the supply one from the switch and second from the washing machine plug. Is that ok?

Sorry for these questions as I am novice in this area.

Thanks in advance.[/url]

Sponsored Links
Thanks mate for the quick reply.

Could you please suggest on this one as well?

2) The new washing machine plug also has got a fuse in it. My worry is, Is this ok to plug in the new washing machine(having a plug with a fuse) to the socket (which I am going to install in point 1) which already gets supply from a fused switch(image here) as described above?
So this way I'll have two fuses in the supply one from the switch and second from the washing machine plug. Is that ok?

Thanks

Yes there is no problem with doing that.

Sponsored Links
It should be fine yes. There is the chance one fuse will blow, and if the fused spur doesnt have an neon, you will need to check both fuses, until you find the failed one.

The other option, if the cable from the fused spur to the socket behind the washing machine is of a suitable size, is replace the fused spur outlet with a 20amp dp switch, with neon if possible. That way the only fuse will be in the washing machine plug. If you do this the cable between the switch and the washing machine socket should be 2.5mm T&E

Someone else can confirm, but I think a 20amp DP switch would be acceptable, as the socket could only draw a maximum of 13amps (assuming a single socket), so would not be able to draw the full 32amp of the circuit (if its a typical ring).

If you are the UK, this would probably be notifiable work, as you would be making a slight alteration to the circuit.

Before you do this check your measurements. Sometimes the hard-wiring you describe is to give a few extra millimetres so the washing machine can go all the way back under the worktop, especially if it's integrated with a "door" to match the kitchen units. If you replace the flex outlet with a socket and plug, the machine might have to project forward from the cupboard line.

PJ

Thanks a lot mate. I think I'll go for 13A socket solution as the other solution would be too much for my skills :)

Thanks

Thanks a lot mate. I think I'll go for 13A socket solution as the other solution would be too much for my skills :)

Thanks

I'd suggest a slim-line socket, and switchless. In the past I've pushed a machine back, to find something has knocked the switch on the way in!

If the cable to the machine comes directly out of the FCU, i.e. does not come from a flex outlet plate which you would replace with a socket, then the work would be notifiable.

Thanks All,
I measured the machine size and I believe there might not be enough room for the socket. So now sticking to the hard wiring option for new machine.

Another question: Would removing the plug for hard wiring void any gurantee/warrentee on my machine.
It's a Hotpoint WDD960P washer dryer specs
The specs says

"Removing the plug:
If your appliance has a non-rewireable moulded plug and you should wish to re-route the mains cable through partitions, units etc., please ensure that either:
the plug is replaced by a fused 13 ampere re-wearable plug bearing the BSI mark of approval.
or:
the mains cable is wired directly into a 13 amp cable outlet, controlled by a switch, (in compliance with BS 5733) which is accessible without moving the appliance."

The spec says you can remove the plug if necessary. So the warrantee is un-likely to become void if you do.

But immediately after you remove the moulded on plug you should bend the pins to make it impossible for it to be accidently plugged into a socket. The cut lead from the plug would be dangerous if it were plugged in. The plug is not re-usable.

However if the machine needs work under warrenty, then being hardwired in could cause hiccups if

A) it prevents the machine from being pulled out into an area where it can be worked upon

B) The enginner has no suitable means of locking off the spur, or the spur is not one which will accept a padlock.

It is better in my mind to always use a plug and socket, and only hardwire if there is no room for plug and socket

However if the machine needs work under warrenty, then being hardwired in could cause hiccups if

A) it prevents the machine from being pulled out into an area where it can be worked upon

B) The enginner has no suitable means of locking off the spur, or the spur is not one which will accept a padlock.
1) Machine goes wrong.
2) Owner makes phone call(s) to arrange for someone to visit.
3) Engineer arrives for the laying on of hands.

Between (2) and (3) there is enough time for the owner to pull the machine out a bit, fit a plug, and get an extension lead out.

If the cable to the machine comes directly out of the FCU, i.e. does not come from a flex outlet plate which you would replace with a socket, then the work would be notifiable.

Attached is the image for my current hard wired washing machine. Is this flex outlet plate? So can I replace with 13A socket without issues(as per you comment in quotes)?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back