Replacing a small flat roof with a pitch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

I'm just about to embark on a new project, to replace the current flat roof porch with a pitched roof. I will be extended the pitched roof right across the house (the current flat roof goes across 3/4 of the way).

I will be replacing the current gallows with larger, stronger ones, and adding additional one to support the extra weight. The pitch will be at 32degrees and roof will be tiled.

I was just wondering if there is anything else I'll need to bare in mind before starting the project?

Many Thanks

Wombler

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Is that a semi and are you planning to do both together as it will not look good if only one is done, its difficult for anybody to say if 4"x2" will be sufficient.

Hi there,

No it's not on a semi, on a detached property, the gallows are 2500mm apart if that helps? Will have a pitched roof with tiles on it.

Thanks

Building regs. You are changing the structure and weight being put upon it. You can't Just go ahead and do it.

I dont intend to change anything, i intend to replace the lot to match the rest of the houses on the street all of which have been done, all of which have been done as a DIY project.

Well with respect he can, though it does likely require Building Control Approval. And frankly if the structure he uses is adequate then it is of little consequence unless he is rumbled when he comes to sell and the buyer is of a nervous disposition. But thems the risks.

Wombler2014, there's not enough information to be able to answer you, add some photos from further back at least. This is why you're thread isn't getting much response.

Well with respect he can, though it does likely require Building Control Approval. And frankly if the structure he uses is adequate then it is of little consequence unless he is rumbled when he comes to sell and the buyer is of a nervous disposition. But thems the risks.

Wombler2014, there's not enough information to be able to answer you, add some photos from further back at least. This is why you're thread isn't getting much response.

I was converting my small porch roof and the local building inspector saw me, pulled up and I had to go through it all with him, what timbers, tiles and specs I was using. I had to phone him the following day to see if I could resume work.

I dont intend to change anything, i intend to replace the lot to match the rest of the houses on the street all of which have been done, all of which have been done as a DIY project.

You don't plan to change anything?

Except extending the roof in length, altering the roof structure to accommodate tiles instead of felt.

Now this is really confusing.

Taken from a council site.

Do I need Building Regulation Approval to carry out repairs to my house?

No, if the repairs are of a minor nature and you are replacing like for like. This includes replacing the felt to a flat roof, repointing, replacing a small area of brickwork etc.

Yes, if the repair involves the removal of a major part of a wall and rebuilding it. In the case of re-roofing if the tiles are of the same type then no approval need be sought. If the new tile or roofing material is substantially heavier or lighter than the existing material then an approval under Building Regulations will be required. Please note when undertaking substantial repairs and replacement approval may be required including work to thermal elements i.e. roofs and walls.

Hi Freddie,

Thanks for your constructive response, having spoken with neighbours who have done the work they have all said they 'just did it'.

I will get some more photos taken, however if it proves a long drawn out process i'll just leave it, it is purely a cosmetic thing.

Regards

Wombler2014

You don't plan to change anything?

Except extending the roof in length, altering the roof structure to accommodate tiles instead of felt.

Now this is really confusing.

Taken from a council site.

Do I need Building Regulation Approval to carry out repairs to my house?

No, if the repairs are of a minor nature and you are replacing like for like. This includes replacing the felt to a flat roof, repointing, replacing a small area of brickwork etc.

Yes, if the repair involves the removal of a major part of a wall and rebuilding it. In the case of re-roofing if the tiles are of the same type then no approval need be sought. If the new tile or roofing material is substantially heavier or lighter than the existing material then an approval under Building Regulations will be required. Please note when undertaking substantial repairs and replacement approval may be required including work to thermal elements i.e. roofs and walls.

Sorry Terry, just a play on words - i wanted to remove what is currently there and replace with a pitched roof - purely for cosmetic purposes.

I was converting my small porch roof and the local building inspector saw me, pulled up and I had to go through it all with him, what timbers, tiles and specs I was using. I had to phone him the following day to see if I could resume work.
Yes or they would have done what exactly? Written some snotty letters, threatened court action, noted it all down on their system for a future buyer solicitor to find out. It would have ended there, no BC in the land is gonna serve an enforcement notice to stop a homeowner modifying his porch. They might say they will but they won't.

Yes or they would have done what exactly? Written some snotty letters, threatened court action, noted it all down on their system for a future buyer solicitor to find out. It would have ended there, no BC in the land is gonna serve an enforcement notice to stop a homeowner modifying his porch. They might say they will but they won't.

Going by the local government websites any structural change to a roof should be notified and done to BR's. The work being done is not just a porch but a lounge roof. The weight and force on the window, brickwork and timbers is going to increase significantly, surely.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back