Replacing an oil boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Hoping for some help. My old boiler, which has served me well, is now leaking water so has to go. It's a Trianco eurostar 50/60 about 20 years old, so can't moan with how its served us. The house is quite big, 5 beds, 3 bathrooms, in total 15 rads. So I was surprised that the output of the boiler was only 19kwh. It runs with a boilermate 2, and that seems to be working fine. The boilermate states the boiler should be set to maximum pressure.
I now have to buy a condensing oil boiler, and am wondering whether that will work alongside the boilermate. If so, how about going up to Worcester Greenstar 18/25? Would I then run that at maximum pressure (25) which is more than before?
Any help appreciated.
Cheers
Mike

Read more: //www.diynot.com/diy/threads/replacing-my-oil-boiler.476569/#ixzz4XkyA1fjy

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
It will work but the return temperature is likely to be too high for the boiler to be running in condensing mode for long.
Boilermates say run boiler at max flow temperature because the store needs to be around 80 degrees to perform fully.

It will work but the return temperature is likely to be too high for the boiler to be running in condensing mode for long.
Boilermates say run boiler at max flow temperature because the store needs to be around 80 degrees to perform fully.

Thank you. So am I right to assume that the boiler should work 'problem free' but not as efficient as what the manufacturers state? If so, that's fine, as I do intend to replace the boilermate next year. Cheers Mr Owl :)

Correct, Mr Rabbit. It will.work fine but won't condense very much. No corrosive condensate will be produced and the boiler may well last longer as a result

Don't be drawn in by Worcester marketing.
I have an old oil boiler too and will be replacing it with a Hounsfield oil boiler when the time comes. I will run that at max temperature too....

Correct, Mr Rabbit. It will.work fine but won't condense very much. No corrosive condensate will be produced and the boiler may well last longer as a result

Don't be drawn in by Worcester marketing.
I have an old oil boiler too and will be replacing it with a Hounsfield oil boiler when the time comes. I will run that at max temperature too....

Thanks for this, much appreciated. I will look into other models and indeed the Hounsfield. 18-25 seems to be right for the house and the possible boilermate replacement, would you recommend running it on 25kwh with the boilermate? Cheers Mike

+1 for Hounsfield - very good boilers, cheaper than Worcester, quieter than Worcester, and no nasty cheap plastic components unlike a Worcester

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back