Replacing an old imperial radiator that is corroded and leaks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I have a radiator in my sons bedroom that is old and has actually started to leak through the bottom, which has a small section that is rusted through. I presume it's imperial radiator, since when I measure it, it doesn't seem to be of any standard size. If you check the 'radiator' image, the width of the top is 1075 mm and the height is 780 mm, then on either side there are small parts of the radiator that stick out 40 mm each side (these are part of the radiator itself, they are not screwed in).

I have watched a few videos on how to replace radiators, it looks like something I could manage myself, however these videos don't take into account that I am replacing an imperial radiator, they are just like for like metric replacements.

If I replace it with a metric radiator, I understand that I should get one that is smaller than the current radiator, then use a radiator extension valve to make up the difference between the pipes, is this correct? What size radiator should I purchase, bearing in mind that the distance between the centre of the pipes coming out of the floor is 1220 mm and these pipes are not flexible, they are metal and won't bend (as far as I can tell, but they may move, I will only be able to determine this once the old radiator has been removed from the wall).

So far, all I have done is close the valve on the left side of the radiator, by turning the "tap" in the image 'left-pipe' and this has stopped it from leaking, however of course it has also stopped the radiator getting hot, as well as stopped the radiator in the bathroom getting hot. Regarding removal of the radiator, I know that I also need to isolate the valve on the right side, if you check the images 'right-pipe' and 'right-pipe-top' please could you give advice on how to close this valve. Do I turn the actual top part of the pipe that sticks up above where it joins the radiator, or do I need some kind of tool that goes vertically down into that section of pipe and turns the small square that is inside the top of that section of the valve?

Once the radiator is isolate and taken off from the wall, I need to put the new one on and this looks fine for me to do, however again, because this is imperial changing to metric (possibly), will the new radiator's thread and fittings go on to the current pipes fittings? I understand that if I can do this, I do not need to drain the entire system to replace the radiator, instead I can isolate just this one radiator and slowly drain it as it's disconnected from the pipes, then install the new one. However, if the new radiator will not fit on to these pipe connectors, then I need to replace everything from the pipes that come out of the floor (ie: the pipe connectors whatever they are called, the valves and the radiator), is this correct? Please could you clarify if a metric radiator will fit without needing to drain the system and replace the pipe connectors?

If I need to replace everything and it requires draining the system, I would not feel confident enough to do this myself, but I would prefer to be able to do this (otherwise I wouldn't be posting here I would be calling a plumber). So if it is the case that I need to drain the system to replace the pipe connectors and valves and I want to do this myself, am I better off to source a replacement imperial radiator that will fit these connectors? And if so, what size radiator should I get or does the same apply as above, just get something smaller and use the radiator extension valves to take up the slack? And will an imperial radiator definitely fit these connectors?

I know that there are a lot of questions above and any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Paul

Attachments

• radiator.JPG
    radiator.JPG
    35.7 KB · Views: 1,244
  • left-pipe.JPG
    left-pipe.JPG
    28.8 KB · Views: 818
  • right-pipe.JPG
    right-pipe.JPG
    23.7 KB · Views: 856
  • right-pipe-top.JPG
    right-pipe-top.JPG
    28 KB · Views: 632
Sponsored Links
I can see that you have been thinking a lot about this rad. It is an every day problem and if I was you Paul, I would get a plumber in to drain and replace this rad. Have a chat about adding TVR to the rads. This is also a simple job with most rads.

That's an old style lockshield valve and needs a universal key to close it off. Those valves will be imperial too, they'll need to be replaced too. That means you'll need to drain the CH down to the level of that rad. That process is dependent on type - sealed or open vented.

May be easier just getting someone it to do the job in a oner for you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back