Replacing ball valve / extending overflow - help required

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All
OK, have an overflow problem.
Have two overflow pipes on my outside wall, right next to each other. One protrudes from the wall by around 5cm, the other one is flush with the wall.
The one that protrudes is linked to the small central heating tank, and I don't think this is overflowing.
However, the one that is flush with the wall is linked to the cold water tank, and it looks like the ball valve needs replaced in it, as the water is exiting via the overflow, coming out of the pipe and running down the wall, which I'm sure will not be good for it!

1st Question
How easy is it to replace the ball valve myself? Looking at it, I can't see how the float detaches from the valve itself, do I buy an all-in-one unit?

2nd Question
I'd like to extend the cold water tank overflow by around 5cm, so if in the event I do have problems again, at least the overflow will drip clear of the wall rather than running down it. What do I need to do this? I obviously can't couple the pipe on the outside so I guess I would need an insert of some description. Pipe diameter looks around 3cm.

Thanks in advance.
Alex

Sponsored Links
1st Question
How easy is it to replace the ball valve myself? Looking at it, I can't see how the float detaches from the valve itself, do I buy an all-in-one unit?

just buy the whole valve and use your existing ball.

2nd Question
I'd like to extend the cold water tank overflow by around 5cm, so if in the event I do have problems again, at least the overflow will drip clear of the wall rather than running down it. What do I need to do this? I obviously can't couple the pipe on the outside so I guess I would need an insert of some description. Pipe diameter looks around 3cm.

Thanks in advance.
Alex

overflow pipe is useally 21.5mm
buy a length of pipe and coupler and fit a section in the middle.

thanks. it's definitely larger than 21.5mm though. is there a standard size around the 3cm mark? have been looking around and 28mm gets mentioned often?

Alex

1 1/4" if 1/2" ballcock to tank, 1 1/2" if 3/4" ballcock. If it is the same size as the heating one it is 1 1/4"

Use 2 multifit unions and a cutting of pipe, There may be a cutting lying in the loft. Look around under the tank.

The float unscrews.

Sponsored Links
Both 28mm OD pipe, and 32mm bore waste pipe are available.

What material is the existing pipe?

Sometimes details are stamped on the pipe fittings.

Scotland - it`ll be 32mm waste - sensible size, been in Scottish Water regs since Rob Roy ws a boy ;)

What material is the existing pipe?

Doesn't matter, thats what the multifits are for.

Could never understand why they allowed 3/4" (21.5) to be used in England

21.5 isn't an overflow its a warning pipe. It would give you about enough time to get the water off before your ceilings are down :LOL:

yes it does indeed look like 32mm. so it looks like if i get a piece of 32mm plastic pipe i can extend this. heading off to B&Q/Homebase tomorrow, will I be able to get the multifit unions there and why do I need 2, I'm visualising the union to be a push fit insert to join the two lengths?
Thanks
Alex

Multifit has got nuts and wedge shaped washers and fit all makes of pipe. The B&Q ones are not really the right ones (Marley i think) and are made to fit their stuff.

Go to a plumbers merchants Plumb Center, Grahams, PTS or who ever and ask for multifit unions (2 off). These will be McAlpine or Polypipe and will fit anything. If you bump into a plumber there ask him (nicely, in fact send the wife :) ) for 4" of 1 1/4

You need 2 because you will have to cut the pipe, put a union on both ends then cut a small piece of pipe to join them to extend the pipe.

Multifit has got nuts and wedge shaped washers and fit all makes of pipe. The B&Q ones are not really the right ones (Marley i think) and are made to fit their stuff.

Go to a plumbers merchants Plumb Center, Grahams, PTS or who ever and ask for multifit unions (2 off). These will be McAlpine or Polypipe and will fit anything. If you bump into a plumber there ask him (nicely, in fact send the wife :) ) for 4" of 1 1/4

You need 2 because you will have to cut the pipe, put a union on both ends then cut a small piece of pipe to join them to extend the pipe.

--------

ahhh - does this mean that I have to cut the pipe inside the house, put in the joint, then push the now longer pipe through so it now protrudes? i was rather hoping there was some sort of "push fit coupler" which I could just insert into the overflow pipe on the outside of the house then attach a small length of pipe to extend it?

Yes. It will save having to get the ladder out. 32mm waste/overflow pipes are not all the same size. It could be any of 4 different sizes depending on make all classed as 32mm (hence the multifit fittings). McAlpine used to make an internal 32mm pushfit for overflow but don't know if they still do. Never saw/used them for years.

If the pipe is solvent weld (it will have ABS or MuPVC stamped on it) you could just stick a solvent union on to the end with a smear of silicon. All solvent fittings regardless of make are the same size.

it's a bungalow, so it's relatively easy to get a ladder out and tap on an extension from the outside, whereas inside it's not so easy as the overflow pipe comes down at 45 degrees from the tank, disappears just below floor level where I imagine there's some sort of elbow arrangement which routes the overflow pipe outside.

off to plumbcenter today, will let you know how i get on
Cheers
Alex

When replacing your 'ball valve' - Hopefully you will have an isolation valve or stop valve in your pipework just before the valve. If not, why not fit one into the pipework while the water is off. That way when you turn the supply back on, you will have control of the water if there is any problem with the fitting of the new 'ball valve'.

thanks for all your help.
overflow now successfully extended and turning my attention to the ballcock. There is a nut hard up against the tank and also one which appears to be attached to a T-piece. Have attached pic (taken with mobile, sorry not very clear). There also appears to be a nut on the inside of the tank but this looks thinner and there is a build up of "gunge" on it.
Can't get in with my adjustable spanner (too wide), what tool do I need to get at this? Is it a matter of loosening the nut on the T-piece, then on the outside of the tank and taking out the ballcock and replacing?
Alex

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back