replacing bathroom tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

My bathroom has mostly white tiles but there are about 30 tiles with a flower pattern which I don't like, scattered amongst the white ones. As I don't have a great deal to spend, I would like to keep the white tiles as they are in good condition and look fine, but get rid of the flowers and replace with plain white tiles the same as the others.

I have watched a few youtube films and it looks relatively easy to remove the odd tile and replace, I just wanted to hear anyone's experience of doing this and if it is really relatively easy to DIY it or will I just make a big old mess?! (I have no tiling experience)

Many thanks
Heather

Sponsored Links
Use a drill with a masonary bit in it, not on hammer and maybe a bit of masking tape on the tile to stop the bit skidding and drill into the tile in several places. This will shatter the tile without effecting the adjacent ones and make removal easy. Replacement is then a doddle as you just need to keep the new tile flush with the exsisting.

There are thousands of shades of white tile. Do you have some from the same batch?

thanks for the replies

no I don't have the same batch. I was thinking maybe if I take the old ones off first then take a piece of one of them into a shop to match? (the flower is printed onto the same white background) I will have to make sure I can find the same size/depth of tile of course.

Sponsored Links
Other options include sticking a transfer over the patterned tiles.

Or fitting different colour tiles so it looks intentional. For example black. May look like a crossword puzzle though.

If do remove a tile, start somewhere out of sight, so if things don't work out the repair will be less obvious.

Or fitting different colour tiles so it looks intentional. For example black. May look like a crossword puzzle though.

I did think of this, but I don't really like the positions that the patterned tiles are in. There are some in more inconspicuous places so I might try one of them for starters and see how I get on.........

Thanks all!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back