replacing bathroom wall tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Need Help!!

We have [or had rather] circa 1940s square lime green tiles [set in mud] on the wall of our bathroom, about four feet up. Decided to remove the tile, which went very quickly by the way, in anticipation of recovering the wall with either sheet rock or the beadboard that is all the rage.

Now, do we have to remove all the cement the tile was set on to do so? My mom just wants to place the beadboard over the mud, but that would provide for a 3/4" lip where the beadboard meets the exisitng plaster. Plus, to do so wouldn't we have to sand all the cement to make the surface even?

We will retile around new fixtures. I think the best bet it to take all the cement / mud out and expose the structure and start from scratch? She thinks that would be too time consuming.

Pls advise. I am really not sure how the beadboard would adhere to the old cement anyway, or you?

thanks.

k.

Sponsored Links
Were not ignoring you, it's just that we are UK based and don't understand your terminology.

Are there no US based forums which can help you?

Sheetrock = plasterboard (I used to watch Roseanne)
Beadboard = no idea
Mud = no idea
Can't help anyway, but I'm curious about what these might be?

Sponsored Links
that 'mud' might come off if you soak it and its ordinary tile cement
i got 12 tiles off plywood by soaking them
then got all the 'mud'...or adhesive off by soaking them overnight in the old bathtub...it just reverted to a soft paste
:)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back