Replacing bathroom - which order

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I'm about to have my bathroom replaced and hope to get a little advice here please

I've found a plumber who will do the basic like for like replacement but to save cost I need to do everything else - trouble is I've done some research but I'm not quite sure what the everything else is and which order I should do it, oh and what bits (other than the suite and tiles) I need to buy.

This is how I'm planning to do it..... - would appreciate comments on any/all including which to do first anything I've missed and what stuff I need to have for each job.

1) Take off existing tiles - how?
2) get plumber to take out all fittings - and set shower pipes into wall???
3) plaster walls (is this something I can do myself of do I need to find a plasterer) - oh and how long after plastered do I need to wait before tiling
4) lay marine ply on the floor - should this go all the way under the bath area?
5) get plumber to put in new bath
6) seal floor tiles - 2 coats
7) tile floor - do I lay tiles out of the door and how do I finish edges to skirting?
8.) grout floor
9) pva walls
10) l-profile bead for bath (with bath full) - how long should I wait before draining bath?
11) tile walls
12) grout walls
13) get plumber to install basin and toilet
14) silicon sealant around bath and basin
15) fix shower screen
16) fit rollerblind to window
17) smile and have a beer - OK several

I know this is going to take a lot of reading and answering but I only found out about the l-profile bead today by doing a search on this forum so I'm wondering if there are any other little bits I need or jobs I have missed...... I really don't want to get this wrong......

Thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
I would consider something like:-

1. Cut water supplies to bathroom, and fit full bore isolating valves. Once the valves are in place, the water supplies to the rest of the house can be restored.

2. Remove old suite, tiles and skirting. Your new finished floor level may be as much as an inch higher. A hammer & bolster, or SDS drill, if you have one available, will make short work of most tiles. Clean up and assess the damage, and whether re-plastering is required. The larger the tiles you intend fitting, the flatter overall the walls need to be. Personally, I don't worry too much about 'pock marks' behind tiles, as long as the wall is flat overall.

3. First fix new plumbing.

4. Re-plaster and fix ply to floor (might as well do the whole floor, often baths benefit from a little extra support under their feet). Whether you want to clean the snots of dropped plaster off the floorboards before fitting the ply, or clean them off the ply before laying the tiles is up to you.

5.Tank 'wet' areas eg above bath/shower. 'waterproof' tile adhesive and grout isn't waterproof, it just means it doesn't dissolve in the water it absorbs.

6. Fix bearers to floor and wall for bath as required, secure tub to wall and floor as recommended. Make sure the tub is level and stable. Any movement at all is too much movement. Connect bath taps and waste. Fill bath and seal it to the wall. Leave bath full overnight to set.

7. Remove door. Tile and grout floor. Fit skirting on top of tiles (if required - IMO not necessary if room is fully tiled, but maybe that's just me). Tile and grout walls. Using PVA is not recommended in damp situations. Seal bath to tiles. Leave bath full of water overnight again. Finish tiles under door with a proprietary edging strip appropriate for the flooring outside and the tiling inside. Trim bottom of door to fit.

8. Fit, connect and seal around other sanitaryware, fit towel rail / radiator and shower screen etc. Fit blind etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back