Replacing bay window tiled cladding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking to replace the following bay window cladding:

View media item 90777
Apart from the bleached washed out look of the tiles, some are falling off and most have moved and i think it would make a massive difference to the look of the house if i was to renew them, plus doing it myself shouldn't be too expensive.

However I have a number of questions on the cladding, insulation and construction that I need to ask before I can begin.

regarding renewing the cladding

The first one is a smallish one, assuming I decide on a tile I like, how do I go about working out how many I need?

Should I replace the Flashing or reuse? you can see someone had decided to paint it black at some stage would this be easy enough to remove or just easier to replace? is it cheapish?

Regarding insulation and construction:

I'm going to guess there is no insulation behind it, or very little and I'd like to install some but want to make sure i do it correctly. with research on here Im hoping the following is correct.

Tile cladding on top of a breathable membrane
I was thinking of stuffing the cavity with rockwool insulation because im near a motorway and would like to reduce noise and ive heard this is a better solution than any of the more rigid insulations. then there is the vapour barrier before the inside wall which feels pretty solid so could be plywood but wont know until i strip everything.

As ill be doing this from the outside trying to not disturb the inside, will I be able to put a reliable vapour barrier in?

Also do i need to leave a gap between the rock wool and the breathable membrane or can the membrane hold it all in place?

thanks

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back