Replacing ceiling light with Ikea light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am trying to replace a ceiling light with a light from ikea which I have found out don't need the earth wire but on taking down the old one I have wires from the switch which is a blue and brown then wire from the box which is blue and yellow/green and brown, the 2 brown wires were connected by a block ( I have no idea of these things) the light fitting has a live and neutral port but I have tried but blue wires and nothing very confusing!
Any help out there please!!!

Sponsored Links
It's a fuse box, this is in my summer house. There is a cable coming from that which has a blue , brown and g/y wire then I have another cable coming which is for the switch and that has a blue and brown wire of which both browns are joined. This was installed by an electrician but he has since moved away

You will have from the consumer unit (fusebox) live (brown) neutral(blue), earth.
You will also have a twin and earth switch wire - brown and blue cables, with earth.
Most ikea ceiling pendant type lights are Class 2 so don't have a requirement for an earth. They also only provide a live and neutral terminal.
With the power off and tested just check that the switch has the brown wire in the Common terminal and the blue wire in the L1 terminal. If this is not the case then post back before you start the next action.
At the ceiling position you need to connect the two browns together in a terminal block.
Connect the blue from the consumer unit into the N terminal on the lamp and the blue from the switch (which should have a brown sleeve or tape on it) to the L terminal at the lamp.
Using another terminal block to sleeve and connect the earths together.

Sponsored Links
Thankyou for the help and I have tried all you have advised but still nothing going on!

Thankyou for the help and I have tried all you have advised but still nothing going on!
If the circuit wiring is a you described and you checked the wiring at the switch and then followed my instructions as outlined the light should have worked.
This is a diagram of same - scroll down to the 'using terminal block in enclosed fitting' just ignore the cables to the next lamp.
//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:lighting:single_way_lighting
If you have double checked everything - made sure the power is turned on etc post photographs of your circuit wiring for the consumer unit, switch and lamp itself.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back