Replacing ceiling mounted extractor fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello there,

The ceiling mounted extractor fan in the bathroom does not turn on anymore and I am looking for a possible replacement. The fan is 'glued' to the ceiling as per the pictures below and it seems that any removable parts are on the side of the ceiling which i cannot access without taking the whole thing down.

I am an absolute beginner at DIY stuff and would appreciate some help !!!

1) Since the fan is 'glued' to the ceiling, do i cut the fan out by cutting along the glued parts?
2) Also what glue should i buy if and when i replace the existing fan with a new one?
3) The extractor fan turns on automatically when i turn on the lights in the bathroom, I am gonna assume i would need the T/HT models of the Venta Axia Solo Plus range?

CAM01438[1].jpg

Thank you for your help!!

Attachments

• CAM01439[1].jpg
    CAM01439[1].jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 306
Sponsored Links
I wouldn't think it is glued although people do all sorts of things.
It's probably just painted; just cut round the edge.

Take off the cover and you will likely find some screws.
If it is definitely no good, just smash it. Turn off the power to the circuit first.

Yes, it has a timer.
Whether you replace it with a humidistat one is up to you.

Thanks EFLImpudence, I 'll go and try to cut it out. I understand it isn't literally glued on to the ceiling,although the white glue around the edges of the fan seem to hold it in place to the ceiling. Would you now what glue i have to buy to secure a new fan to the ceiling?

They are not usually glued but screwed to the ceiling.

It sounds like someone has used caulk or silicone to make it look neater. This will still be soft.
If it's hard, it's just paint.

if you want to do the same, don't use caulk when replacing; it goes a dirty colour after a while.

Use silicone sealant. http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p63890?table=no

Sponsored Links
Ah cheers, it is soft...i have cut it out and below is a picture,there is a crack in the plastic casing.
CAM01442[1].jpg
..how strange.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back