Replacing conservatory and ? Knocking through

Sponsored Links
Planning isn't really the issue. The cost is. Seems like there are no viable suggestions. Looks like it'll just be coming down!

You either build a cheap and cheerful conservatory or a proper extension. There ain't a magic bullet here.

Sponsored Links
Interesting to see how some people think the guide price is reasonable, others think it's excessive. Maybe it depends where you live.
I'm on the South Coast, and I always smile when Kirsty Allsop on Location Location Location breathlessly tells some young couple in the Midlands or the North that they should knock out the back of the terrace house they're looking at and she's "got a quote from a builder and it's going to cost £18K" What planet are they on? - or are labour rates significantly cheaper in these parts? I can't imagine material costs would vary much. But I know the day rate for a good chippie round here is £180, and I guess other skilled trades would be on a similar rate, at least, and a job which Kirstie claims would be £18K would be more like £30K round here.
As a matter of interest, anyone know what are typical day rates in other parts of the U.K.?

In Bristol I believe it's £150.

Re the architect 'quotes'- these were an indication. Obviously he won't always be accurate, but with a lot of experience working with builders means he has a rough idea what is involved and how much it will cost.

Re the architect 'quotes'- these were an indication. Obviously he won't always be accurate, but with a lot of experience working with builders means he has a rough idea what is involved and how much it will cost.
I work with electricians and plumbers all the time but have absolutely no idea what their stuff costs or how to price their jobs.

Well going on my friend who lives down the road, it sounds like a realistic price. (3m x 3.5m plans drawn, quotes of 28-40k) If he were going to suggest a price without having an understanding it would make sense for him to quote low, that way he'd get the work.

Well going on my friend who lives down the road, it sounds like a realistic price. (3m x 3.5m plans drawn, quotes of 28-40k) If he were going to suggest a price without having an understanding it would make sense for him to quote low, that way he'd get the work.
Your architect is actually going to build it? :eek:

You guys are so lovely, what with your sarcasm and all. If you aren't going to be constructive, or at least say it nicely, don't bother.

You guys are so lovely, what with your sarcasm and all. If you aren't going to be constructive, or at least say it nicely, don't bother.

In all fairness.....

(a) You asked if this was pd and you got your answer

(b) It is unusual to have a quote done by the architect and not the builder. There are so many unknowns and potential hidden costs in doing this hence the raised eyebrows

(c) Very difficult to assess whether a price is realistic or not as there are a plethora of factors involved here - not just labour rates, area of build, etc.

FWIW, I would get some quotes from actual builders (not architects) and see where you go from there.

Just MHO

B

We've all told you to get quotes using drawings, listening to your architect or your friends is all very well but it's not a reliable way to gauge prices. If you don't want to listen that's up to you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back