Replacing felt on roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All, been trying to save this building for a while now:

https://plus.google.com/photos/1079...5939939995383733922&oid=107923304694117479865

However as you can see from that photo, there is a section of roof felt missing. This photo gives you a better idea:

https://plus.google.com/photos/1079...5939939932722791954&oid=107923304694117479865

I've tried sticking the old pieces on with felt glue, and this really didn't work - mainly because I couldn't apply any pressure as don't really want to get on the roof as not sure how strong it is. There is another piece missing which is not in the picture, higher up.

Now I'm just looking at a temporary fix, and any ideas about getting it fixed to the roof?

I was thinking along the lines of:
http://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Self-Adhesive-Hi-Tack-Flashing-Strip-150mmx10m/p/243010

WHat do you guys think?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Why do you want a temporary fix? Internal felt looks in reasonable nick so unless there's water pouring in you've got other things to deal with. Especially since this is Year 3 of the Project

The original capping on those hips wouldn't have been felt anyway, looking at the slates they've been laid by someone who knew what they were at so most likely lead or copper or something similar would have been used.

Any replacement is going to involve getting on the roof (which unless you're careful will break some slates). Flashband or similar will leave a nasty mess when you eventually do the job properly. If you are determined to do something then you need to start at the bottom of the roof and cover the hips and ridge so that gravity works with you (overlaps are where the water gets in).

Flashband the hips for a temporary fix - anything else will probably blow off.

The final hip covering will possibly hide any bitumen residue. But, anyhow, its easy enough to clean up the slates with white spirit.

Thanks for your input. Temp fix needed as I only get a few days near this building per year, and just want to keep it in ok nick until I have more time to spend on her.

The pieces that blew off in the wind, and are still on now are all felt, so I guess flashband is the way to go!

Sponsored Links
Also, not that confident just getting on the roof - not sure how strong it is - are roof ladders the best way to go for a job like this? Any other recommendations?

As long as the rafters are as good as they look in the pics then the roof will take the load. But its going to be a real pain on roof ladders from the front because of the angle the hip makes- if you're hooked on conventionally over the ridge you'll be miles from the hip.

There are options but you'd need to be confident about working at heights to use them.

Thanks. I know what you mean about being so far away. Also, the roof is curved slightly, the end part is at a different angle to the top, so i don't think a roof ladder would work so well, as it would just rest on the ridge at the top and bottom? What are the other ways?

Hard to say precisely without being there but;

Cherrypicker- not a particularly useful device, you'd be too high above the job
Scaffolding- best bet but probably expensive- worth getting a price though, you might be surprised

Ladders and ropes and probably a zip tower. Here we go into the world of you have to honestly assess whether you are competent enough and confident enough to go this road- mistakes will result in serious injury or death.

Roof ladder running parallel with the hip with 1 hook over the ridge (the other hook will be floating about in the air). You'll need loadspreaders (4 x 2 timber or sheets of rigid insulation) between the ladder and the slates so you aren't loading a point. You'll need something protecting the ridge again to spread the load (I've used an old cylinder insulation jacket before, it was handy). Make sure the ladder hook isn't bearing heavily on the slates on the far side of the ridge- again spread the load. Tie a line to the top of the ladder and secure it to something on or near the ground (so there is no risk of the ladder pivoting at the eaves under your weight thus disengaging the hook and causing issues.

The foot of the ladder has to be strapped down securely at both sides to something solid so it doesn't start sliding towards the vertical and doesn't twist as you climb up it.

Zip tower as your means of access to the ladder gives you a safe platform to get on the ladder and somewhere to store tools etc needed.

Have a harness on and clip yourself to the ladder (so if you do slip you won't come off the roof)- usual trick is double lanyard so you are always secured.

You need 2 accomplices (one fitted with a harness and double lanyards) for an effective rescue plan. You also need a long line attached to your harness, going over the ridge and down to a suitable belaying point. If you do come unstuck, one of the accomplices needs to dial 999. Then the one at the belaying point needs to take the tension on your safety line, the one with the harness gets up to your ladder and cuts your lanyard, belaying boy then lowers you to the ground (lad on roof guiding your unconscious body past obstacles) and await emergency services.

This is HIGH RISK stuff. Totally on your own head- I'm comfy doing stuff like this but your accomplices have to know what they are doing and be able to do it. You may find that scaffolding is actually cheaper than you think (when you look at the possible consequences of falling off this setup)

Wow, just want to say thanks for the extensive reply - really helpful!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back