Replacing flat roof with pitched roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our flat roof on the garage has had it so I would like to replace it with a pitched roof as we plan to knock into the garage in the future to extend kitchen etc.

The garage is attached to the house but the garage wall is only a single skim brick wall with 3 pillars.

My question is will a single skim brick wall be strong enough to take the weight of a tiled pitched roof?

Would I need to get a structual engineer to have a look?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
As this work is notifiable and subject to Building Regs Approval you could do a lot worse than phoning Building Control. They may be happy to pop out for a quick visit. If you talk it right, you could dig a hole beforehand and get him to peer inside and take a look at the foundations. Its only what an SE would need to do anyway. Unless you get a good builder who has good knowledge of local houses and is familiar with the type of foundations likely to have been built he should advise you to do the same.

Sponsored Links
A pitched roof is a roof for which one or more roof surfaces is pitched more than 10 degrees
[1] and alternately a roof with two slopes that meet at a central ridge.
[2] Some definitions are even more general, including any roof with a sloping surface or surfaces.
[3]The term roof pitch (in roof construction) refers to the angle of a roof from the horizontal. The word pitch can also be used as a verb, i.e old roof framers refer to having to "pitch a roof."

A variant of the pitched roof is the lean-to roof, a roof structure where the roof leans to one side of the house. Rafters are connected to the highest wall which are declined to a lower wall. The rafters are often connected into the wall individually or even supported on a wall plate bedded within the wall. This type of roof can have no joist at all or have a tie or have a joist with a strut to give more strength.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back