Replacing Float Valve Diaphragm Washer - Help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

After spending a few weeks with a 'fog horn' toilet, i've decided to sort it out.
After thinking it was the tube where the water comes back in (which does have a hole), Mr B&Q advised it was the Float Valve Diaphragm Washer that needed replacing.
So willingly purchased two different ones (showed him a pic - can take the other back), as I was walking away, he said "don't forget to turn the water off at on the toilet".

Now i'm home, I have two problems:

1. Where is the Float Valve I need to replace?
2. I can't find anyway to turn the water off on the toilet.

I attach two diagrams to show 1) The cistern, and 2) The pipework under the toilet.

View media item 26773
View media item 26774
Is anyone able to help with the above questions, and after reading another website, do I need to empty the water out of the cistern (closing off the water supply and flushing?).

Many, many thanks.

Chris (and our from our neighbours who can hear the toilet very clearly...and my 3 year old daughter who calls it the 'noisy toilet' and won't go near it :LOL: )
[/url]

Sponsored Links
65643137.jpg

and no you don't need to empty it, just flush it.

Thanks Chris.

Sorry. A few more questions:

1. Turning off the water - I guess I turn the slot screw 90 degrees anti-clockwise?
2. Do I (1) Turn off the water first, then (2) flush the toilet, and finally (3) replace the valve?
3. To replace the valve, I guess this is inside the long tube you've circled, and I just need to unscrew, pull out, replace valve, put back plastic tube, and tighten?
4. Once replaced, do I turn the water on then flush, or the other way around?

Thanks again, Chris (a rather hopeless DIY'er lol)

Hey CJ

1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Yes
4. Turn water on, let cistern fill, adjust float (if need be), flush to test.
5. have a beer or cup of tea.

Andy

Sponsored Links
Cheers Andy.

Turned the screw 90 degrees to the left, flushed, and...started filling back up :confused:
Solved the problem by screwing the screw on the floating thingy (the non-technical term) to stop the water flowing back up.

Then tried unscrewing the tube. No go. Wouldn't budge. Have a monkey wrench, but not enough room. Tried a screw driver and hammer, but didn't budge (only did it gently, as didn't want to damage anything).

Any suggestions for this helpless plumber wannabe (although did manage to fix a leak on a pipe going in to the boiler today as well...guided by a friendly relative!).

[Insert House Builders Name]...built to last, approximately, between 4-5 years! :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back