Replacing grass with moss!

JBR

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I'd be grateful for some advice please.

We have a fairly steeply sloping grassed area to the front of our house which, because of the slope, is difficult to mow. To make matters worse, it is immediately adjacent to the road - no pavement - and it is about three feet above road level bounded by a low wall. Obviously there is always the danger of falling into the road when mowing and for that matter I'd like to replace the grass.

Gravel would be hopeless as it would very quickly fall down into the road and so we've considered the possibility of replacing the grass with moss, or another alternative like clover! Is that even possible? I'm quite aware that this is the exact opposite of what most people want to to: to get rid of moss on their lawns!

Assuming that it is, how would I go about it?

Sponsored Links
If its very shady it should be possible to do. If its in full sun you'll have no chance with moss.

Moss will not be killed by ordinary glyphosate weedkillers so you can spray it with that and it will kill everything except the moss.

However as mentioned you need damp shady conditions for it to grow well.

Is it a large area?

Thanks for your advice. No, I'm afraid it's not exactly a shady area. It is East-south-east facing so gets sun throughout the morning. I'd estimate it to be roughly 20 to 30 square metres.
Incidentally, I should perhaps have mentioned that the soil around our house is very much clay in content and drainage poor.

I could certainly try glyphosate weedkiller, but I wonder what would grow after the grass and any weeds are dead. Anyway, if I so I'd better get on with it, as I've been reading that they're trying to ban it.

If there is no moss already established then that's not really a goer. Clover will work but will still need some maintainence. Low growing shrubs are probably lowest maintenance only needing trimmed yearly. It can be hard work getting them established though.

Sponsored Links
Bad news! I'm afraid that we're stuck with the grass then, although the real problem is that when it grows longer it obstructs our view up the road when trying to get out of our drive. I suppose I could periodically spray glyphosate and just have some bare earth. That wouldn't need much maintenance! :LOL:

You need to use moss killer - or even just buy a box of Iron Sulphate which is the same stuff but cheaper as it doesn't need to be licenced as a herbicide. It sends the moss black and crusty then you have to rake it out before it recovers.

Nozzle

You need to use moss killer - or even just buy a box of Iron Sulphate which is the same stuff but cheaper as it doesn't need to be licenced as a herbicide. It sends the moss black and crusty then you have to rake it out before it recovers.

Nozzle
But I haven't got any moss. I want some! :LOL:

Last edited:
I assume he meant shrubs or periwinkle.

Lesser periwinkle, persicaria, ivy are all good candidates which will not grow to more than about 8 inches off the ground.

To get any shrub or plant established is the hard bit. often putting a membrane down and then planting through it is the best option which keeps weeds down. It does slightly slow the plants growing as they aren't getting the same quantity of water etc but its worth it.

To be honest cutting it with a strimmer or a very lightweight electric mower is still your best bet. Even paying someone to come and strim it once a month will keep it easily under check.

I know from experience getting plants established on this type of slope is difficult

Ah yes. Thank you Neo. I should have realised he meant shrub rather than scrub. The good news is that I have tons of ivy growing just beyond a couple of bushes above the sloping area and which, incidentally, is growing all over some pine trees. By the way, can ivy damage an otherwise healthy tree?

Perhaps I could encourage the ivy to spread down the slope. It has, after all, spread all over some adjacent ground.

Another fun ground-covering plant is alpine strawberry. Or even ordinary strawberry.
Less interesting but perhaps more practical would be heathers.
Or try some wild flower seed mix, or something.
You really have lots of choices.

Thanks Endecotp. Yes, it seems that I have quite a wide choice of plants. The important thing is to keep whatever grows there low down.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back