Replacing lead pipes in Victorian property

Unless you're running a hotel, then 20mm MDPE is usually ample, if you're going to connect to 15mm anyway there is no benefit going to 25mm IMO.

Once under the house depth is not quite so critical, the 750mm rule is for frost protection externally.

Sponsored Links
1. As i said above, 25mm.
Make a very generous measurement for the MDPE and then add two or three metres extra. You could snake a rope thro to get an idea.

2. If you thread new pipe around the kitchen or install a new riser to the first floor then use 22mm plastic, or 22mm copper.
Just because you have 15mm now doesn't mean it might not be upped in any future refurbishment.
The flow in a 25mm MDPE is throttled down with inserts to the equivalent, or less, of a 22mm diameter pipe.
So think future, think a 25mm supply.

3. As i explained above, locate the stop-tap at the end of the MDPE where it transitions (under the stairs? at the kitchen slab?).
Bring the MDPE in, and let it rise in the conventional manner.

4. Your Utility must respond & replace (for free) the communication pipe and the old stop-tap.

5. Why not stand back and take pics of the context from the pavement to the house wall?

Sponsored Links
You can use a pipe fitting but it reduces the flow resistance if you can bend the pipe.

Furthermore the plan should be to avoid any underground joints in water mains!

Tony

With a 13 m run to the kitchen I would be using a larger plastic than 25 mm as the cost is marginal and the resistance significantly lower.

The additional cost might be only £10 to £30 and for such a small amount not worth saving in my opinion.

Tony

Thanks again for the useful replies.

I'm now looking at purchasing a stop cock for under the stairs. It would make sense to get one that can transition from 25mm mpde to 22mm copper at the same time - these two seem to do the job, although the brass one is much cheaper:

JG Speedfit MDPE Stop Tap 25mm x 22mm - 91902

Poly Stopcock 22mm x 25mm - 16758

Are there any recommendations for one over the other? Will either of them do the job?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back