Replacing lighting circuit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

The lighting electrics are being replaced in our 1950's semi. An electrician is coming to do it, but I have agreed to do a lot of the prep beforehand to save on the cost.

I was hoping someone could advise me on floorboards, and how many I should remove. I first thought maybe just the one above the light ceiling rose, but think it may be more. It took about two hours to get one board up :confused:

Anyhow, thanks in advance for any help..

Sponsored Links
You need floorboards up close to where all light switch drops would be.

Try and take up the whole length of this board, or at least till it gets in line with the ceiling light.

Don't worry too much about getting boards up above the light, as new wires can be 'fished' or drawn in through this void.

The important bit is getting above the light switches, as new cables can usually be pulled through the old conduit buried in the walls.

You just want a route that goes from the fuse box, to each light, and each switch.

Remember, getting access through the joists is the problem. Fishing cables ALONG the joists is easy, and doesn't need many boards lifting.

To get boards up will depend what type they are.

Normal square edge boards needs a claw hammer and bolster. Expect a small bit of damage where the bolster does it's work.

Tounge and groove boards need the tongue cutting through. Electric saw, jigsaw, floorboard saw will do this.

Thank you :D ..I'm so pleased that I don't have to get half the floorboards up. I can see why it costs so much to rewire a house.
Right...off to dig up some floorboards. Thanks again for the quick replies x

Sponsored Links
If you have conduit, they can be used again but they are not ideal for multiple runs of twin and earth or three core and earth as you will not get the cable through, if the electrician is replacing with singles than should be okay. I use a multi tool when removing floorboard, the number of boards to be lifted will be depended on the route taken be the cable, be aware there are regulations concern the location of cables through joists and where the holes can be structural made, also when cutting into floor be aware of existing cable routes and any other services being routed within that void such as data cable, gas, oil, water pipework.

Thanks for the tip. My first go of lifting floorboards was a bit like making an omlette :confused: - all tips gratefully received. I think I will go and have a look at some proper tools tomorrow.

Thanks,
Susan

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back