replacing mechanical room stat with digital

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just bought a new digital room thermostat to replace a Honeywell mechanical type. I tried what I thought would be the correct wire up but ended up blowing a PCB fuse on the boiler. Luckily there was a spare on the inside of the case!

I had a Honeywell stat with this wiring

The set up consists of a honeywell programmer and Y plan valve and bosch Worcester 18i system boiler.

I am replacing with a home expert/honeywell digital room stat (THR840DUK)

Here are the wiring options

When I blew the fuse i connected live to A, neutral to B switch C

Sponsored Links
I'm not surprised. You connected a live and a neutral to the same switch, so that when the switch operated they were joined together. If you are lucky, the fuse is the only thing that has blown. If not, your new thermostat may be damaged, depending upon how much current passed through it before the fuse blew.

You do not need the neutral connection. None of the diagrams you have posted show a neutral connection to the thermostat. Why did you connect it?

The Red wire should go to 'A' and the Yellow to 'B'

The blue wire should be isolated in a small screw connector and tucked safely out of the way.

No connection to be made to 'C'

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back