Replacing old 2-way 2-gang light switch?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm trying to replace a couple of 2-gang light switches being used as 2-way switches for downstairs and upstairs landing lights. I bought new ones from B&Q but when removing the old ones I noticed a different terminal layout - notably 2 rows of 3 terminals top and bottom. As you can see, the new switch looks different.

The old switch wiring has the yellow wire in common with the rest in either L1 or L2. The new switch has L1 and L2 but the third terminal is labelled L.

So my question is which wires go to which terminals in the new switch? I ask this because one set of L1 and L2 in the old switch have 2 wires going into each.

My assumption is that if I imagine the old switch back divided in 2 then the yellow on one side goes into L1 and L2 and L2 wires from that side go into the equivalent side on the new switch if that makes sense.

Can someone advise please?

Sponsored Links
Your old switch is laid out like this

Your new one is different, as the two halves are side by side, rather than one upside down.

In the old one the terminal marked COM equals L on the new one.
L1 and L2 are the same.

Does that make sense?

EDIT: Your new switch has a metal plate. Make sure that it is earthed to the earth connections from the cables.

Your old switch is laid out like this

Your new one is different, as the two halves are side by side, rather than one upside down.

In the old one the terminal marked COM equals L on the new one.
L1 and L2 are the same.

Does that make sense?

EDIT: Your new switch has a metal plate. Make sure that it is earthed to the earth connections from the cables.

Hi there thanks for that. Yes after seeing the pictures blown up I can see the orientation is different but layout similar and I understand your explanation. Not sure why the images aren't showing up on my work browser now - can anyone else still see them?

Yes I know about earthing the metal plate, I've had to earth all the replacement metal switches in my house but ran out of earthing sleeve when I came to these 2 way switches so it was a good time to stop.

To earth I've been using some old 1.5mm cable and stripping out the bare earth wire and cutting to suit with sleeving added on. Is there an easier way (just buying the bare wire itself?)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back