Replacing old combi with new condensing boiler near doorway

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After a posting here (along with useful replies) and a visit from a Heating Engineer I have decided to have my 13yr old boiler replaced.

From reading here I realise that the existing boiler will have to be replaced with a condensing boiler. I noticed several postings here mentioning "pluming" from these condensation boilers due to lower exhaust gas temperatures. The boiler will be situated in a cupboard at the front of the house with the flue exiting the front of the house directly out of the front wall.

The existing flue is approx 6.5' of the ground and approx 50cm from the edge of a shared arched doorway at the front of the house. I haven't had an problems with the existing flue but what concerns me is that the plume from the new boilder will blow onto the shared doorway affecting both myself and more importantly the neighbours.

From posts here I have seen distances of 600mm and 2.5m for distances from doorways and footpaths. From one of the posts I noticed it seems that if you install one of these flues within 2.5m of a doorway or path and neighbours complain it's a problem.

Obviously the Heating Engineer who is will be installing the boiler will be able to tell me what his opinion is on the location of the flu but I would appreciate others experience/opinions. Specifically:

1. Do you think having a flue this close to a doorway and path will be a problem.

2. Is there any way of diverting the flu gases away from doorway?

3. I read that it is possible to get a non-condensing boiler installed in exceptional circumstances. One factor being "pluming" near a doorway or footpath. A soakway (with lime e.t.c) will also have to be fitted as there is no drainage nearby to catch the condensate. A non-condensing boiler would be considerably easier to have installed (not necessarily better of course).

4. Is it even worth trying to raise this as an exception to get a non-condensing boiler?

Thanks in advance

Martin

Sponsored Links
Dont you want to get the extra 12% efficiency that a condensing boiler will give? As well as reducing the greenhouse gases? And saving you gas bills?

I am sure that your CORGI registered installer can best advise you as he has visited your property.

Tony

Agile

I am all for helping enviroment and saving money but not very beneficial if the "pluming" effect causes me and neighbours problems when entering/exiting the house :LOL:.
I noticed the "pluming" postings here this evening after speaking to the heating engineer and thought a second opinion would be useful. I also thought I may get a reply here before I speak to him next.

Martin

Sponsored Links
The pluming is very likely to be a problem, depending on wind conditions. In cold weather plumes are more visible and can extend several metres. Because the flue gases are so much cooler they do not rise so much in outside air as those from a conventional boiler and tend to travel horizontally.

You might possibly qualify for an exemption from the requirement for a condensing boiler. But you should consider extending the flue outlet terminal upwards, which is possible with some boilers (e.g. Vaillant, Glow Worm, Keston) or even a new location for the boiler.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back