Replacing open fire with back boiler for multifuel stove

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Moved into an 1870s poor house recently. It has a 1980s Dunsley Condor open fireplace with a back boiler. For various reasons, I can't/won't be using it. I'm having it removed and want a multifuel stove in its place.

The room the stove will be in is 8m x 4m x 2.25m. That would indicate a stove size of 7kW. Needs external air intake. The stove would be in the same room as an Oil fired Rayburn (might or might not be on at the same time) and a single. I went to have a chat with a local stove shop - they recommended getting a 5kW stove only, to avoid the need for external air.

What things would you be considering re a stove installation (I should add - I'm in Scotland where HETAS is not a requirement).

Any help/advice would be grand!

Sponsored Links
Good rule for working out required kw: In order to calculate what size wood burning stove for a room, measure the width, length and height of your room and then multiply the three measurements together, i.e. width 4m x length 8m x height 2.8m = 89.6 cubic metres (room volume). If your room or house is new build and fitted with very good insulation then divide the room volume by 25. If the room has average to good insulation then divide the volume by 15. If the insulation is poor or non existent, then divide the rooms volume by 10. If in doubt use 15.

Note: air vents can be piped direct to stove to avoid loss of room heat (certain stove models).

Will they line the chimney?

Is the chimney external to the building or internal (external then liner may need insulating).

Have they got a good website, tidy sign-written van? Shows potential professionalism.

Ten things to think about when choosing a stove:

1. Does the stove have a good size door opening so you can get your logs in?

2. Does the stove have adjustable legs or feet to prevent the stove rocking?

3. Is it a recognised brand from an established manufacturer? Well known brands do tend to have less risks when it comes to quality and customer service.

4. Do you have a tight chimney or do you want to lessen the risk that a liner might not go down? DEFRA approved wood burning stoves with a 5″ collar can often be fitted to a five inch liner rather than the usual 6″ minimum should this be required (I seriously suggest any self installer thinks about this one!).

5. Can you can talk to somebody on the phone should you need to after the wood burning stove has been delivered.

6. What is the max. output in KW? Many manufacturers just specify the “nominal” and this figure can be less than the maximum.

7. Will the wood burning stove require an air vent within the room (some walls are very difficult to drill)?

8. Will your wood burning stove fit in your recess WITH the required air gaps around it?

9. Are you in a Smoke Control Area? Choose your stove accordingly (DEFRA or not DEFRA)

10. Have you considered self installing?

Julian Stove Fitter's Manual (Google me if required)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back