Replacing Potterton Room Stat

Discussion in 'Electrics UK' started by Jeremyb123, 12 Jun 2007.

1. Jeremyb123

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    The existing Potterton room stat has stopped working, and when the radiators come on they are boiling hot.So when I\\\'ve gone to replace the stat, I\\\'ve noticed that the existing one , as well as live & neutral, has a H for heating, which my replacement does not have, it just has a terminal for L & N, the three, numbered 1,2 & 3. Do I need to replace the stat with a Potterton like for like ?

2. gas4you

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Neutral will remain the same, Live will be live from programmer/timeswitch and the 'heating' will be the switched live from the new stat back to the zone valve or pump. Instructions with new stat should tell you what switched live is.

3. ricicle

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    The room stat does not control the temperature of water in the rads.That is the job of a stat on the boiler.

4. Jeremyb123

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks.
    I've replaced the stat with the Potterton model the supplier said, so all works fine....... except that whenever I put the hot water on, on it's own, the radiators come on as well ????

5. Steve3948

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    It does control the temperature of the water in the rads by opening and closing the 3 or 2 Port Valve.

The boiler stat controls the temperature of the water in the main flow and return.

6. Steve3948

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    This could be a 3 or 2 Port valve problem, with a micro switch stuck or broken, unless it's a combi.

Do you know what system you have, Combi, Y-Plan, S-Plan, C-Plan ?????