replacing radiator valve with TRV

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,
I want to replace a couple of radiator valves with TRVs in bedrooms.
So, I need to remove the existing valves, If there is a bit of movement available in the pipework I can figure out how to do this. (And when replacing, fix valve to radiator first with the pipe moved slightly down out of the way, adjust the valve so the valve is over the pipe then introduce the pipe into the valve?)

But, if the pipework won't move then how can I get everything connected.

Any tips gratefully received!

Cheers to you all

GT :D

ps, the adjustable/extendable bit that screws into the rad - how far does this have to insert into the valve so that the olive can form a proper seal?

Sponsored Links
gtgt said:
But, if the pipework won't move then how can I get everything connected. ?

You can't!
gtgt said:
Any tips gratefully received!

ps, the adjustable/extendable bit that screws into the rad - how far does this have to insert into the valve so that the olive can form a proper seal?
You have to judge it. But once it's done up, undo it again to have a look. If the olive's past the end of the pipe it won't do.

Hi,

I think you can obtain short extension pieces for most valve types. Take your thermostatic valve to your local merchants and explain the situation.

Thanks everyone for the advice so far, I only posted last night! Fantastic community here. :LOL:

Let me try and explain myself a bit better than I did last night.

The TRV (Regis from B&Q) comes with the thermostat unit, the valve itself (the right angle piece into which the flow pipe enters) and then the tail part itself (which screws into the radiator and joins to the valve).

Looking in the DIY books, they just say remove old one and fit the new (more or less) - but what I couldn't figure out is how to do this if nothing moves.

now, the tail is adjustable for length so after much worrying over how to fit these things I think this is the answer

1) Drain system

2) Remove valve

3) introduce the new valve to the pipe (putting nut and olive on first!) fix hand tight only

4)shorten the adjustable tail piece by hand so it fits between the valve and the radiator, attach to valve hand tight

5) use plumbers wrench to keep valve still, tighten the tail into the radiator. This should extend to the correct length.

6) tighten everything up.

My only concern is that as I screw the tail into the rad, it might not extend, rather it pulls out of the valve - causing a leak (step 4), perhaps I need to tighten this up first to prevent this?

The obvious thing would be to grip the tail itself whilst screwing it into the radiator - but I think that it is quite a small gap between the rad and the valve and it might be difficult to grip. an alternative would be to add something to lubricate the adjustable tail and work it a bit - but I'm worried about damage to the watertight seal.

I know that this is supposed to be easy, and while I've done a reasonable amount of DIY I've never done plumbing - and don't want to end up with no central heating because I 've made a great big leak somewhere! Am I just thinking too much here?

Thanks for taking the time to read and for any tips

Cheers

GT

Sponsored Links
From what you've said, personally I would recommend you call someone in to do this and save you the heartache and messing around. I've seen people do this type of thing before and make a right pigs ear of it. That's after getting black sludge on carpet and being without heat for a few days.

If there's a 'her indoors' then this suggestion is especially valid. ;)

Do you need to fit the "tail"....when you remove the old valve won't the trv just replace this and the rad nut will screw onto trv thread?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back