replacing radiators - do i need to change all pipes?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi

we are looking to change our double panel type radiators with new double ones with double convectors. The problem we have is that radiators themselves get very wam but the room doesnt warm too much as there are no "fins" on the radiators. So if i put my hand 2/3 cm away from radiator then i dont feel a lot of heat. i hope this makes sense.

there are 6 of these radiators. 5 measure 1200 wide by 600 high. 1 is 800 wide by 600 high. the boiler is a greenstar 18ri (i think its 18kW).

We had one plumber come in and said will quote. Another one said we need to change all pipes as they are not big enough for new radiators.

is it correct? are there any guides as to what size pipes might be needed so i can double check as ripping apart everything to change pipes is simply out of question.

ta

Sponsored Links
The term radiators is a misnomer. They actually convect more heat than they radiate .so holding your hand close to it is not a good way of measuring its efficacy. Measuring the temp of the rad itself and in various parts of the rad provides more useful information.
What size pipes do you have there?

Have you actually compared the potential heat output from the proposed new rads with the existing ones? If the only difference is the addition of 'fins' I'm wondering whether you will feel much difference once it's all done. Perhaps there are other efficiencies that need to be looked at before going to the considerable upheaval of changing all the rads?

For example, pump settings and efficiency; removal of any sludge from the rads/system by cleaning/flushing; other system controls - thermostats/TRV's etc?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back