Replacing sealed units in aluminium sashes with rubber seals

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
1449099313534.jpg
1449099474423.jpg
1449099549039.jpg
Hi everyone,

I am hoping to get some advise on how to replace the sealed units in my double glazed aluminium vertically sliding sash windows. I've already bought the new spiral hangers, so I will be taking the sashes out to change them and was hoping to change out the broken sealed units too (lots on condensation between panes).

So, the windows appear not to have any beading - it looks like the sealed units are held in with the black rubber seals (gaskets?) that have been glued in place around the glass and between the glass and frame. Any attempt I make to get it out just leads to me ripping off the exposed part, so I can't see the profile of the seal (assuming there is one!) And half of it stays in the frame. I haven't found any videos online that explains how to do it.

It would be great if you could advise on the most effective way to approach the task. Is it a rubber seal / gasket? Do I have to cut it out then clean the glue out? Will it be difficult to fit new sealed units? Do I need a heatgun or a putty knife? Is it better to just pay a pro to do it / not do it?

Any guidance would be great appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

Sam

Sponsored Links
I would say the sashes are screwed together , like a lot of old Aluminium Patio Doors. You should find a screw in each corner, but you won't be able to see it untill you remove the sash from the actual frame. You should be able to get away with unscrewing two sides and the glass will then pull out with the gasket. Upon refitting, to get the gasket back in , use a little glass cleaner , as a lubricant, some use washing up liquid but we find that a little to slippy!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back