Replacing single large rad with two smaller ones

mca

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I want to replace the single large radiator with two smaller ones (they’ll also be a few feet away from where the current single radiator is).

I’ve found that the current radiator is plumbed directly into the flow & return pipes – the connection to the flow pipe is def. before the pump, the radiator is the first thing connected to the flow pipe (and the last thing connected to the return).

Reading a few threads here on the forums leads me to believe this isn’t the right way to do things and is a bit of a bodge but correct me if I’m wrong. I’m assuming it was done like this because the flow and return pipes from the boiler go right past the radiator and it was the easiest/simplest/cheapest option.

I’d like to plumb in the two new rads the right way so am I correct in thinking that I should be teeing into the flow pipe after the pump?

If I am correct then from what I can see of the pipe work under the floor boards I can tee into the flow pipe (after the pump) ok but due to the number of pipes, teeing into the return pipe in the same area may not be possible, is it essential that I keep both in the same area?

It would be easier for me to tee into the return pipe where the current rad tees into it which is some distance later

Does that make sense? :confused:

Sponsored Links
Does the existing radiator work ok?

It does appear to, at least I've not had any problems with it. I must admit that I'm more incline to just plumb the new rads into the system in the same way as the existing one.

The reason for the change to the rad is to accommodate other things that are going into the room.

I'll attempt to attach a couple of diagrams to show what I meant by my original post.

The current plumbing for the rad (it's the single one in the extension):

My proposed new plumbing for the two new rads (again they're in the extension):

Hopefully you can see from the proposed plumbing that I'd be teeing into the flow close to the pump at the start if its run but then teeing into the return towards the end of its run.

Edit: Ignore that I've added another rad to the circuit in the main house, an error on my part.

It does appear to, at least I've not had any problems with it. I must admit that I'm more inclined to just plumb the new rads into the system in the same way as the existing one.

You are inclined in the right direction ;) It may be the rad is fitted as a boiler bypass. You`ll be opening a can of worms if you alter the setup as diagram 2 - you`d probably have balancing issues ;)

• Thanks
Reactions: mca
Sponsored Links
I agree with Nige. If it works just now then fit the new ones in the same way. Unexpected things can happen if you alter things too much.

• Thanks
Reactions: mca

It does appear to, at least I've not had any problems with it. I must admit that I'm more inclined to just plumb the new rads into the system in the same way as the existing one.

You are inclined in the right direction ;) It may be the rad is fitted as a boiler bypass. You`ll be opening a can of worms if you alter the setup as diagram 2 - you`d probably have balancing issues ;)

Thanks Nige F & denso13, I'll go with that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back