Replacing Single Panel with Towel Rad

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I was hoping to replace my old 600x600 single convector with a chrome towel rad...

My existing pipe are approx 686mm centre to centre and 40mm from the wall to centre...

The existing pipes are pulled bends under the stud partition so to get back to a straight for any new fittings will mean lifting boards both sides of the partition (a nightmare as they've been botched and overboarded by the previous owners).

I've been looking online at various towel rads but don't want to get lumbered if I order the wrong size.

Has anyone found or can suggest a way of fitting one in with the existing pipe centres without it looking botched?

I thought maybe order a 700+mm wide and using angle valves and elbows but not too hot ( :LOL: ) on rad fitting dimensions.

Any advice appreciated, failing this I'll just have to go for another 600x600 type 11 compact... :(

Sponsored Links
Heated towel rails give a far lower heat output yhan panel rads.
Have you cross-referred the output of the rad against the new rail?

Well, currently there are 3 problems:

1) pipe centres to wall
2) distance between flow and return
3) valves enter rad horizontally. Rail will be entered vertically

To try to attach rail without replumbing will almost certainly look rough-arsed - unless it is boxed in to cover a multitude (well, the 3 above) of sins.

Sponsored Links
I thought as much... I guess I have my answer then, I don't want to lift the boards so it looks like a standard rad it is... :unsure:

All of you should remember that even if a towel rail can give a ( paltry ) 400w output then that falls to virtually zero when you insulate it by covering it with towels!

I have changed loads of towel rails back to standard rads, usually as some idiot has said they will heat the room and they dont and customer has lost confidence in them :-$

I'm happy with mine. Nice and toasty. Do it properly, with the correct advice and no need to worry.

ExaCtly buy it so its big enough and practical not buying one due to looks or because it was on offer in b&q

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back