Replacing smoke alarms

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
He's one ive not thought about before............is it required, wise or not necesary to replace smoke alarms and Carbon Monoxide alarms after a fire in which they have suffered no heat damage but being smoke and sut damaged?

Sponsored Links
Following a fire the smoke detector detection chamber will be contaminated.
I would change any sensor that has soot damage/contamination.
Not worth the risk
These devices are to save lives,change them.

Sponsored Links
Bin them, they have done the job they were expected to do

Smoke detectors have a life expectancy and should be renewed after about 5 Years to be on the safe side.

Bin them, they have done the job they were expected to do
No-one has yet asked ... in the course of acquiring their smoke damage, did they actually 'do their job' in the sense of alerting anyone to the fire - or was the building perhaps unoccupied at the time?

Kind Regards, John

I'm not talking about fire damaged smoke alarms. My point was that smoke alarms in seemingly good condition still only have an effective lifespan of 10 years.
Being a retired Fire Officer anyone asking me that sort of Fire Prevention advice I would go for a lifespan of a maximum of five years, and change batteries twice a year regardless ( this would include Hard Wired Alarms)
Most quality smoke alarms are now stamped with maximum lifespan

Being a retired Fire Officer anyone asking me that sort of Fire Prevention advice I would go for a lifespan of a maximum of five years, and change batteries twice a year regardless ( this would include Hard Wired Alarms) ... Most quality smoke alarms are now stamped with maximum lifespan
Is that just because you are particularly 'cautious' (i.e. want to err on the side of safety)? As you say, most alarms these days have a specified 'expiry date', which virtually always seems to be 10 years from the date of manufacture. Are you not comfortable with the manufacturer's view of the 'safe' lifespan?

Kind Regards, John

No

do they give a ten Year guarantee that means that is the maximum life span regardless of circumstances.

The life span of these items depend on location, maintenance of batteries etc, that is why they should be tested regularly

No ... do they give a ten Year guarantee that means that is the maximum life span regardless of circumstances.
I can't tell you anything about any 'guarantee', but I think they would probably be on thin ice if such a safety-critical product did not usually (nothing is perfect!) continue to function satisfactorily up to the "replace by" date indicated on the product.
The life span of these items depend on location, maintenance of batteries etc, that is why they should be tested regularly
I doubt whether many would disagree with that.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back