Replacing steep staircase

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've just moved into a house with a very steep staircase which I would like to have something done about - although not sure what :confused: I've web-surfed to try and find a reputable company who can come and measure up, possibly make or buy new staircase and then fit it, but I can't find any websites with reviews on, so I've no idea who I'd be taking on.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

Cheers :D

Sponsored Links
you need to remember that reducing the angle off a stairs will effect the clearances [head height] and will be longer each end will need to be a square the width off the stairs
if you introduce winders you will reduce head height so require major alterations

do you have any pictures ??

Thanks for yr reply. Unfortunately no pictures to show. Our house was originally a bungalow and so the stairs were an add-in some years ago. They are essentially what you would find in a cottage; quite narrow and solid walls on both sides. The landing at the top returns back along the line of the stairs, so you get to the top of the stairs and turn left and come back alongside the stairs - not sure if that makes sense or not :confused:

Donna.

Sponsored Links
is there a greater space at the bottom as in a space greater than a square the stair width ??

if you increase the length by say 25% and your head height is reduce by a similar amount assuming theres a structure overhead the regulations dictate around 2m clearance above stairs measured from a line connecting the nosings off each tread

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back