Replacing three aerials with one

Sponsored Links
I notice that on freeview, although I get good pictures and HD on most channels, some, like Film4, are weak and pixellated.

I am to the east of Portsmouth, and the existing YAGI loft aerial seems to be pointing towards Fareham, where I understand there is a transmiiter.

I'm sure there is a website that will tell me where my nearest transmitter is, and its orientation or band, so I start to know what sort of aerial and other gadgets I need, but I haven't found it yet. Where should I look?

Sponsored Links
Dependent on your signal strength, you could use a V11-20A2 "Group A" log-periodic aerial or, if more signal is required, a V10-36L (plus a "Group A bandpass filter if required).

Or you could simply use a "Group A Yagi" aerial. It's your choice.

Thanks

The table says Field is 63dB at Pol V. Is that good? (Pol H is lower, and the old aerial has horizontal fingers)

The old aerial is a long (came in two halves and has a cradle in the middle) Yagi with a black plastic end cap. I could try re-orienting it to point at Rowridge at a bearing of 235, which I calculate to be about WSW and more Southerly of where it currently points. The old one might possibly have been knocked, but is aligned to a pencil mark on its platform. This is a coastal area so external aerials get battered.

I may be getting Solar PV panels in future, they would be on the South side of the roof. Will that spoil things?

The explanation of table values is on the first page I provided a link for.

Solar panels or indeed any obstruction or nearby metalwork can affect the signal in diverse (unpredictable) ways.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back