Replacing/upgrading panes in wooden windows.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our new place has several wooden windows, most of which have been updated with double glazing; a couple of windows have a single pane.

The wooden frames are fine, but I'd like to replace the glass. Is it normally just a case of stripping back the paint, locating any beading or fixing putty, and just removing the glass - then reversing the procedure?

Sponsored Links
In theory ....yes! but , 9.5 times out of ten you will break the glass doing it and get quite frustrated...this is quite normal lol! As a company we replace in wood quite frequently. couple of things to watch out for , firstlty that you measure the sealed unit correctly, and secondly follow any advice the sealed unit seller gives you , or it may void any warranty they offer...

there may also be little nails (sprigs) holding the glass.

Prime and undercoat the rebate before reglazing.

If the glass won't go in, don't give it a little tap with your hammer or a little press with your hand. Take it out and remove the obstruction. A very very sharp chisel will be useful for shaving away snots or fragments of hard old putty. I have more recently moved to glazing tape, which is very secure and available in a small range of colours and thicknesses.

You can get handles with suction cups to handle and position glass more safely and accurately. I don't know if they can be hired.

edit
here we are, cheaper than I thought
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Automotive/d60/Suction+Pads/sd3264/Draper+Double+Suction+Pad/p23801
Better ones are aluminium
http://www.ggrglass.co.uk/suction-cups/
Your glass merchant might possibly lend or hire them.

If using these, keep it as near to vertical as you can.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back