Replacing water stop cock/valve - technical question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My mains water supply (bungalow, concrete floors) enters the house through the bathroom floor. The bungalow is 1960's and the main appears to be the old 1/2" copper covered in denso tape where it rises from the concrete. The isolation valve is old/stiff and does not shut off completely so I want to replace in the near future. I suspect the copper pipe is a thick walled type.
Questions:
I think you need a special compression fitting for soft thick wall copper - I do not think you can simply use a standard olive etc. ?
How do I go from the old 1/2" pipe to a new 15mm stop valve?

All advice welcome - thanks

Sponsored Links
Pipe will be the same size as 15mm. Yours will be 1/2" but there is no difference only the odd sizes are different ie 3/4" ,inch and a quarter ,inch and a half and so on.

Having said that are you sure yours is 1/2"? Might well be 3/4" in which case you can buy an imperial olive and use 22MM couplings.

Personally I wouldn't bother changing the valve ,either cut a new one in above the old one or buy yourself a 'toby key' for about £15 and then you can turn the water off from outside on the pavement if the toby valve cover isn't covered over that is ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back