Replacment UPVC Door Lock 'keepers'(?) For Security

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
UPVC doors, possibly ~20 years old.

In order to increase security, I'm looking to replace the metal castings that the 'dogs' slide into when the UPVC door handle is lifted and locked.

Ideally I'd like something stronger/less brittle, like stainless steel, that wouldn't just crack if levered against.

Whart are these items called?

Is there a standard size?

Would it also be worth replacing the slider bar too?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Do the job properly, change the door et al. If you are concerned about security then half-way security is no security.

The parts in question are simply called keepers, but unlike ordinary door keepers they are designed with a wedge wall on one side to pull the door into solid contact with the draft gaskets, your lock may also have a hook thrower fitted for the same purpose.
The Keepers are often made of malleable steel castings, which I think you are describing yours to be. The bolts aught to have cam adjustable round sleeves made of hard steel fitted over them, their adjustment would pull the door tighter if that's what you are describing as more secure.
As Jackrae, has pointed out it may be better to replace the whole door, as at 20 years, you may not thank for saying so, it's at the latter end of useful life because it becomes brittle with exposure to uv light rays...pinenot :)

Sponsored Links
Screwfix supply ”universal” lock replacement assemblies.
Might be overkill to what your after. More for information for yourself.
I would be dubious as to the term “universal” as placement of keepers may not match existing door.
There are different sizes of locking mechanism available(where the handle and key are), not sure about the size of the “keepers” though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back