Repointing?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We need the back of our mid terrace repointing. Here are a few pics....

We have had a few quotes. Cheapest was £340 going up to £750.

I know it could be done DIY but we have too much on at the moment, and I am saving the DIY for some other jobs.

Firstly. What do you think of the quotes?

Secondly. Is there anything specific I should be asking them to do? Specific mortar or anything?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
No idea on price. The beds appear to be the original mortar and in pretty good condition - good for another 10 yrs say, unless you are having penetrating damp difficulties.

If you go ahead, you will have access difficulties above the extension - scaffolding and bridging might be required. Pointing in conjunction with the flat roof neighbour's would help?
Take care of any roofing or guttering maintenance while the scaff is up.

Rake out to a depth of 20mm th 25mm, beds and perps - this is a must. And a bucket handle finish.

No idea on price. The beds appear to be the original mortar and in pretty good condition - good for another 10 yrs say, unless you are having penetrating damp difficulties.

If you go ahead, you will have access difficulties above the extension - scaffolding and bridging might be required. Pointing in conjunction with the flat roof neighbour's would help?
Take care of any roofing or guttering maintenance while the scaff is up.

Rake out to a depth of 20mm th 25mm, beds and perps - this is a must. And a bucket handle finish.

There's quite a few holes in the mortar although we have no damp (touch wood). I would like it done though.

How about the replacement mortar type? Is it lime and should I specify lime as the replacement?

Yes it's lime mortar and yes you should specify lime mortar be used in the repointing. If you have it done with cement (which most will default to since they know nothing else) you run the risk of causing damp problems.

Good luck in finding someone who comprehends this.

Sponsored Links
I went to look at a very similar job, there was no tenant in at the time and for the life of me I couldn't find where needed pointing except the odd hole here an there, I told her this in an email.
she replied saying she knew it didn't need doing but wanted it doing because next doors had been done and so she wanted hers doing.

anyway I didn't get the job but pass the house regularly as its near where I live, I saw the guys that got the job, pointing the house in the rain, ok it was only drizzle but still, a few days later I passed again and it looks a right mess, plus they didn't point it, they jointed it.

not as nice as next doors lol

Any thoughts on the quotes? £340 seems good to me. But, is it too good?

First, tell those that have quoted that you want it doing with lime mortar. I suspect the quotes will change. Or they will tell you that you don't and everyone uses cement these days. Eliminate the latter.

Second, ask them how they will get to the wall above the kitchen roof e.g.'are you going to need scaffolding?'. The responses may be instructive.

You need a tradesman experienced with lime mortar.
Joints should be flush and finished with a churn brush.

£340 is reasonable but can be a bit low depending on the mortar used. I wouldn't recommend doing this type of work yourself.

Your mortar still seem to have a couple of good years left, in any case.

Like most times when I try and get trades in, I seem to be hitting a brick wall.

The cheaper quote suggests a cement mortar is ok, which had put me off somewhat. I've asked him if he can do it in lime.

Anyone know of anyone that will do this is worceatershire/west mids border areas?

There are quite a few holes in the pointing so I think its best getting it done sooner rather than later. Especially as we have a remortgage valuation coming up.

Had another chap in today that came recommended. He said he would do lime mortar but recommended against it? He quoted around £380 to do it with lime. He really genuinely was telling me it was best to do it in cement? It looks like the neighbours have all been done in cement as well. Confused now.

He's telling you that it's best because it is harder wearing (which it is). He doesn't understand the damp issues it can cause with solid walls. At least he's willing to use lime and the price is fair.

Have a look at your neighbouring houses that have been repointed with cement. I bet most of them have the tell tale line of holes from an injected dpc. If you can find any that still have lime mortar I'd wager most of them do not.

Lime mortar is breathable. It allows moisture in the wall to wick away. This is important in a solid wall with only engineerig bricks for a dpc.

My house is one of the last to use lime - 1930 semi with solid walls. It is about ready to do. No way will I use cement. I don't have damp and I don't want it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back