Reposition internal door leading from lounge to dining room

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

The previous owners had some strange ideas when it came to room layout. The door leading to the dining room, direct from the living room is approx 4 ft from one corner, and 10ft from the other. The door therefore opens virtually straight onto the settee, preventing you from seeing the chair behind it! :LOL:
Anyway I've tried various layouts with no joy. I have two options, either make the door open the other way, i.e. opens outwards to the dining room, or repositiong the doorway to the far corner of the wall, and have a corner type of settee. This will also make the room feel less of a corridor. The layout I am after seems to be the "original" one from other houses nearby.
I assume the wall is load-bearing, is there a specific way to check this out. Also, I am assuming a ballpark figure of £350 to reposition the door?

Thanks for any advice/ tips

Dan

Sponsored Links
have you considered a sliding door? CHEAPEST METHOD MAKE DOOR OPEN OTHER WAY.CHECK IF WALL IS LOAD BEARING? IS THERE A BRICK OR BLOCK , WALL DIRECTLY ABOVE ,ON NEXT FLOOR.THEN YES IT IS. IF JOIST RUN PARALLEL.THEN NO ITS NOT LIKELY.IF ITS ASTUD WALL, THEN NOT LOAD BEARING.

the wall may be load bearing even if there are no fist floor joists bearing onto said wall.

whether it is load bearing or not, a masonry wall with a door sized opening (32" or so) will still require the same lintelling principles, i.e. a pcc builders lintel.

propping the joists will be determined by their orientation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back